Glycolysis...wow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isupsych253

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is glycolysis a pretty difficult process to get a grasp on? Or am I the only one? Seems pretty complex as I'm reading the chapter, hoping to just get the general concept down, don't think I'll be tested on the exact terms for each of the steps.

I believe I've seen some med students talking about this on SDN, but I'm not 100% sure...

Members don't see this ad.

taking biochem? Glycolysis is pretty complex...not as bad as some other pathways though. It helped me to look at the pictures of the pathway and redraw it a bunch of times and it stuck pretty well in my head.

If you're in gen bio, you probably just need to know that it produces a net 2 ATP + 2? NADH+. I doubt your teacher is going to ask about intermediates involved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glycolyis is a pain in the butt to memorize. However, once you are waist deep in biochem and are responsible for memorizing the TCA cycle, electron transport chain, de novo fatty acid synthesis, amino acid metabolism, etc you'll look back and think "I wish we were still learning glycolysis."

If you're in gen bio, you probably just need to know that it produces a net 2 ATP + 2? NADH+. I doubt your teacher is going to ask about intermediates involved.

2ATP, 2 Pyruvate, and 2 NADH. Just took a test on this!

But to answer your question OP, I'm sure you won't be expected to know every single step. Just remember what you start out with, what the end products are, and where in the cell each step of cellular respiration occurs.

This. Once you get into Orgo and Biochem you'll understand it much better. Right now, I think it's just beneficial to get exposed to it as it is a very important metabolic pathway.

I'm taking general bio, yeah. I agree that he probably will only test on the final "outcome" of the pathway, but if it's something I need to know before mcat/med school I'd spend more time on it. This class does have an SI (supplemental instruction) session tomorrow that is taught by a grad student, so he will probably be able to explain it in a way that's a little easier to understand...I'm hoping!

Yeah it's tough, but learn it well now and you'll be happier come your biochem module during MS1.

All I learned about glycolysis in my intro class is: Glucose -> 2 pyruvic acids -> Acetyl-CoA -> Krebs -> NADH + FADH2 -> H+ gradient.

:lame:

I don't know what you'll be tested on, but the last time I reviewed glycolysis it was for the MCAT. For that I just needed to know that glucose --> 2 pyruvic acid. The process is anaerobic and requires the input of two ATP but outputs 4ATP and 2 NADH. When oxigen is present the electron transport chain can change 1 NADH-->2.5 ATP (if I remember correctly), but under anaerobic conditions NADH is just a built up waste product that must be converted back to NAD- if glycolyisis is to continue. Processes such as lactic acid synthesis or alcohol fermentation can be used to replenish the NAD- supply under anaerobic conditions. Not sure if this helps, but that's the general gist of glycolysis.

Glycolyis is a pain in the butt to memorize. However, once you are waist deep in biochem and are responsible for memorizing the TCA cycle, electron transport chain, de novo fatty acid synthesis, amino acid metabolism, etc you'll look back and think "I wish we were still learning glycolysis."

Just had a flashback to my Metabolism class. I actually really enjoyed it all. :p

OP: Glycolysis/Gluconeogenesis is pretty complex, but it is a really really central concept. And honestly, I think it's a great way to introduce people into learning about complicated enzyme-regulated processes.

I have a poster on Glycolysis/Gluconeogenesis that I made awhile ago--maybe I'll make a stitch of it and upload.

Yeah it's tough, but learn it well now and you'll be happier come your biochem module during MS1.

These two things. The bad news is it gets worse, but you can make it less worse.

Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at it this way:
Glycolysis is the easiest pathway you'll have to learn in the next eight years of your life.

Is glycolysis a pretty difficult process to get a grasp on? Or am I the only one? Seems pretty complex as I'm reading the chapter, hoping to just get the general concept down, don't think I'll be tested on the exact terms for each of the steps.

I believe I've seen some med students talking about this on SDN, but I'm not 100% sure...

It's not too bad. I got extra credit in my first bio class for memorizing it. It didn't take very long, I just typed it over and over in a word document until It was memorized, about 30 minutes or something.

Look at it this way:
Glycolysis is the easiest pathway you'll have to learn in the next eight years of your life.

So true. Glycolysis is cake compared to what was on the exam I just finished.

If you really want to understand it, just draw it out a bunch of times, especially with the structures.

If you really want to understand it, just draw it out a bunch of times, especially with the structures.
Yes, this. I just drew it out over and over (as much as I could from memory) for about an hour, and I then I remembered every step. Every day after I would draw out the pathway (messily) once so I wouldn't forget it, which was only about a 5min/day investment.

In gen bio it was one of the easiest concepts.

In Gen Bio, It's a really simple process. In Biochem, I hear they go really in depth on it.

In Gen Bio, It's a really simple process. In Biochem, I hear they go really in depth on it.

Truth. In biochem I had to memorize all the structures, enzymes, cofactors, regulations...but it's still totally manageable if you just draw it out.

The gen bio version was pretty easy... but I know in my cell bio class we spent about 1/4 of the semester on it. If you learn it more than you have to now, you'll be more prepared going forward.

acid alpha glucosidase still gives me nightmares!

The gen bio version was pretty easy... but I know in my cell bio class we spent about 1/4 of the semester on it. If you learn it more than you have to now, you'll be more prepared going forward.

acid alpha glucosidase still gives me nightmares!

Haha, for me it was phosphofructokinase. My biochem prof kept going on and on about how it's an important regulatory step in glycolysis and pretty much if we forget everything else during an exam, remember that PFK. In the end it was a fill-in-the-blank worth a point or something like that.

Haha, for me it was phosphofructokinase. My biochem prof kept going on and on about how it's an important regulatory step in glycolysis and pretty much if we forget everything else during an exam, remember that PFK. In the end it was a fill-in-the-blank worth a point or something like that.

PFK-1 is an irreversible and regulated step of glycolysis... pretty important. You'll find it again in med school.

I hate when they do that. Unfortunately for me, our course focuses on pbl so the entire first exam focused on Pompe's disease, which basically is just a person unable to break down glycogen and glucose. Upshot: I feel like a pro now on the subject

Glycolysis and pretty much every single step in bioenergetics isn't difficult to memorize/understand. It becomes a bitch when you have to learn how the electrons move (like in UG Biochem) which you don't have to know in Med School. Considering Glycolysis is only 1 of 15 lectures I have for block 2, it's nothing compared to everything else you'll have to learn - gluconeogenesis, FOX (fatty acid ox), glycogenesis, ketone synthesis, etc etc etc.

So, no, it's not complex/difficult. I think the only issue is getting used to the language. Once you're comfortable w/ the lingo/how things tend to work in biochemistry, things just fall together.

I hate when they do that. Unfortunately for me, our course focuses on pbl so the entire first exam focused on Pompe's disease, which basically is just a person unable to break down glycogen and glucose. Upshot: I feel like a pro now on the subject

Pompe's disease (glycogen storage disease type 2) is actually the accumulation of glycogen in the lysosomes due to acid maltase / alpha acid glucoronidase deficiency. If you just say "unable to break down glycogen and glucose" it could be... a bunch of other glycogen storage diseases, for example McArdle's (myophosphorylase deficiency), Hers (hepatophosphorylase deficiency), or Von Gierke's (glucose-6-phosphatase deficiency), or pyruvate kinase deficiency due to inhibition of glycolysis in RBCs, a cause of hemolytic anemia and not a glycogen storage disease :p

Wikipedia ftw! Boo to all the teachers in high school that condoned it.

I learned it rather quickly, just use abbreviations (Glucose-6-phophase = G6P, Fructose 1,6Biphosphate = F16BP, etc.) Write it out like 5 times and it will stick. Then just number each step and memorize the step # which need atp, produce atp and so on.

I learned it rather quickly, just use abbreviations (Glucose-6-phophase = G6P, Fructose 1,6Biphosphate = F16BP, etc.) Write it out like 5 times and it will stick. Then just number each step and memorize the step # which need atp, produce atp and so on.

I don't think glycolysis was what got me. I think gluconeogenesis was what did me in. It's the reverse of glycolysis except for a few steps that are irreversible in glycolysis so needed another enzyme in gluconeogenesis for the reversible step. Then I just got all confused and flustered and bamboozled and mixed up.

Learn to use abbreviations.

Irrev of glycolysis: HK/GK, PFK-1, PK

Irrev of GNG: PC, PEPCK, F1,6BPase, G6Pase

So much easier than saying them all out.

glycolysis isn't that difficult when you start to look at it. Its the Krebs cycle and the Electron Transport Chain that are the real evils in biochemical pathways. Biochemistry is the devil

Biochemistry is a language. Like learning any new language, as you get used to the process of memorizing words and decoding sentences (intermediates, enzymes) and you begin to sense the grammar (general patterns, common reactions and purposes), it becomes more natural to learn entire pathways. Don't get too frustrated with glycolysis.

And if you haven't, try using the Leitner system for flashcard work through pathways to memorize them more quickly. (Alongside the draw and re-draw method)

Thanks for all of your responses and advice! I've found a few videos on YouTube that really explain things a lot better than the text book, IMO.

I actually draw the molecules for glycolysis / TCA. Makes it a process less about memorization and more about conceptualization.

I don't want to admit this, but I made a glycolysis song and putit on YouTube. It goes through every intermediate and enzyme. It is to the tune of Ben Folds' "Landed." I would post it here, but then people would hear my horrible voice, and you gotta dig for that.

I don't want to admit this, but I made a glycolysis song and putit on YouTube. It goes through every intermediate and enzyme. It is to the tune of Ben Folds' "Landed." I would post it here, but then people would hear my horrible voice, and you gotta dig for that.

We'd love to hear it.

Pompe's disease (glycogen storage disease type 2) is actually the accumulation of glycogen in the lysosomes due to acid maltase / alpha acid glucoronidase deficiency. If you just say "unable to break down glycogen and glucose" it could be... a bunch of other glycogen storage diseases, for example McArdle's (myophosphorylase deficiency), Hers (hepatophosphorylase deficiency), or Von Gierke's (glucose-6-phosphatase deficiency), or pyruvate kinase deficiency due to inhibition of glycolysis in RBCs, a cause of hemolytic anemia and not a glycogen storage disease :p

Exactly, I didn't go into detail because I didn't want to come off as being pompous. But nice to know others will swoop in and take care of it for me.