GME funding second residency after leave of absence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NE2016

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does GME funding stay with the person or with the institution? If you were to leave a 5 year combined residency after completing 2 years, but re-apply several years later (3 year residency different state), how would CMS reimburse the program for you?

Members don't see this ad.

Does GME funding stay with the person or with the institution? If you were to leave a 5 year combined residency after completing 2 years, but re-apply several years later (3 year residency different state), how would CMS reimburse the program for you?
This is a massive oversimplification of the issue (and not precisely correct, but close enough, and answers your question correctly)...the funding stays with you. Sort of. You are allowed 5 years of full funding by CMS based on your initial residency length. So if you use 2 of them in your first residency and then start a 3 year residency, you will have full CMS funding for that residency.

The reality is that the actual dollars stay at your first program, but if the 2nd program you (hopefully) match to has funded spots, you can use their money for those 3 years.

Thank you. I read through several old posts and came to that conclusion as well, thank you for the confirmation. Definitely wished someone had explained this all to me before I left!