GMO tour

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

react

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which Navy GMO tour has no, short, or less deployment?

Members don't see this ad.

Which Navy GMO tour has no, short, or less deployment?

Claimancy 18/BSO-18 billets fit this bill, but good luck finding/getting one of those these days with the very short manning of GMO's.

Each of the various GMO types will have some billets that have no or limited deployments; however, there is no guarantee of getting these at any point.

For flight surgery you could get a billet at a training wing, or with a fleet replacement squadron, or possibly a reserve center, or the UAV squadron. Again though no way to know if you would be able to get those before selecting FS and going to the school.

For ships, there's the possibility that if you just happened to time it perfectly you might not go on a deployment, but good luck on that.

Marines, not really sure, I'm sure there is some billet somewhere.

If you're a GMO, plan on deploying. Even those who went to "non-deployable" billets can end up getting deployed as an IA which would be even worse. I know one Navy flight surgeon who got to deploy for a year as an Army doc on the ground....oh boy, no thank you.

Majority of UMO billets do not deploy, which is strange because most people who do UMO actually want to be at the tip of the spear.

Majority of UMO billets do not deploy, which is strange because most people who do UMO actually want to be at the tip of the spear.

Generally true. You won't be strapping on body armor and going down range to help kill booger-eaters. But I do know of folks billeted at undersea medicine clinics (i.e., physicals, evals, and sick call....:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:) who got deployed as IMAs for a year! :eek: