All Branch Topic (ABT) GMO Tours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fmr1120

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: I am an AD Navy 1120. I am separating post-commitment this year and applying for med school. I was highly considering the HPSP route for a variety of reasons, but after reading numerous posts in this forum especially "Thinking about HPSP/USUHS? PLEASE DON'T. READ THIS." I have been strongly dissuaded from the mil route. My primary concerns are the possibility of not being able to pursue a specialty if I find a calling and the interruption of the training pipeline with a GMO tour. Regarding the latter, there seems to be a lot of conflicting or vague info and I am hoping someone is able to provide a little clarity (and maybe actual data):

(1) What percentage of students are able to go from med school to residency without GMO?
(2) Does the number vary significantly from branch to branch?
(3) Are those people who are pushed into GMOs done so because they don't match?
(4) Is the new DHA ownership or any other policy change going to significantly affect the process in the next 4-6 years?
(5) Just how bad is the knowledge decay through a GMO tour (anecdotal is fine)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

(1) What percentage of students are able to go from med school to residency without GMO?
(2) Does the number vary significantly from branch to branch?
(3) Are those people who are pushed into GMOs done so because they don't match?
(4) Is the new DHA ownership or any other policy change going to significantly affect the process in the next 4-6 years?
(5) Just how bad is the knowledge decay through a GMO tour (anecdotal is fine)?

1) Impossible to predict. Changes each year based on needs of Navy. Even harder to predict with new changes
2) Yes. Each service is different
3) "Matching" occurs when applying to PGY-1 (internship) year. Continuing straight through to PGY-2 vs. going out as a GMO is based on needs of the Navy and your specialty that year, # of people coming back from GMO to start PGY-2 year and finally your scores/evaluations/performance during PGY-1 year compared to your classmates. You are essentially guaranteed a spot to return to continue training in "x" specialty after your GMO tour.
4) The process won't change but the predictability of it will. For instance. I was Navy ortho at NMCP. Every year (for the most part) when I was going through at least 2 out of the 4 would go straight through. Sometimes 3, sometimes even 4 would go straight through. I can't reliably say that this is true anymore. I just have no idea. For the critical wartime specialties I don't think it will change much...but it might. :)
5) I defer to those who have done one.

MilMed is still very much alive. Once the dust settles with all of the changes upcoming in next 5 years I think we will be left with a better product (for critical wartime specialties) than we had due to consolidation, blending of resources between services, efficiency and increased integration with the civilian community. But that is only my opinion. Unfortunately this is a new world for every person involved so it is just hard to predict what will happen which makes providing advice impossible.

You won’t lose much as a GMO because you won’t know much yet. That’s kinda the problem with GMO tours (more for your patients than for you).

Members don't see this ad :)
You won’t lose much as a GMO because you won’t know much yet. That’s kinda the problem with GMO tours (more for your patients than for you).

Honestly, I disagree. I feel like I had a knowledge drop during my Intern year as they patient load/complexity just isn't there compared to where I did med school. Further, the only saving grace for my knowledge now is I treat it like med school/intern year and read at least an hour every day if not more to stay relevant.

I was being a little flippant but regressing a little from intern level isn’t like a subspecialty surgeon doing 2 GBs, an appy and a couple colonoscopies in a year. It’s a matter of degree. GMO back to being a IM R2 with no resitern wasn’t easy but at least you are supervised a little.