Gmo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

re8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think around 250 HPSP students will graduate each year and 90% will do GMO in order to increase their chance and also to be considered for PGY-2 positions especially RAD, Ortho, and Derm. So, for an average student what is the advantage of doing GMO in the first place? In my understanding there are only few PGY-2 positions and majority will apply for these limited positions. It is really doesn't give sense to do GMO unless you have high stat (GPA, research, USMLE/COMLEX).

Any feedback please

Members don't see this ad.

I think around 250 HPSP students will graduate each year and 90% will do GMO in order to increase their chance and also to be considered for PGY-2 positions especially RAD, Ortho, and Derm. So, for an average student what is the advantage of doing GMO in the first place? In my understanding there are only few PGY-2 positions and majority will apply for these limited positions. It is really doesn't give sense to do GMO unless you have high stat (GPA, research, USMLE/COMLEX).

Any feedback please

might want to check your source--these numbers look very off

There are many advantages to GMO, as long as you don't mind deferring your residency. Like you noted, it does increase you chances of getting into a military residency. It also gives you a chance to experience real operational military medicine instead of being in the hospital. Lastly, it gives you the option to finish up your commitment and rejoin the civilian ranks w/plenty of leadership experience and no student loans!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many advantages to GMO, as long as you don't mind deferring your residency. Like you noted, it does increase you chances of getting into a military residency. It also gives you a chance to experience real operational military medicine instead of being in the hospital. Lastly, it gives you the option to finish up your commitment and rejoin the civilian ranks w/plenty of leadership experience and no student loans!

Me and my wife were talking about this yesterday. I was so depressed to have to do a GMO tour when I began, but now that it is done and I see the total outcome, I am not that upset. I certainly can't complain that with the Reserves and the MGIB I should be making roughly 100K.

As to the OP, subpar stats can only make up so much ground when it comes to applying for a residency after you finish your GMO tour. It will certainly give you a leg up on other applicants when applying for a civilian residency, as you would have a unique experience that others would not. However, if you have Boards score less than 200 and you are competing against people above a 240 for competitive residencies, you are going to have an uphill battle (to say the least!). IMHO, the GMO helps the borderline competitive applicants the most. For example, somebody applying for a Derm/Rads/etc. residency with Boards in 220-240 range, graduating from a lower tier med school, and ranks in the top 1/2 of class with good LORs.

Me and my wife were talking about this yesterday. I was so depressed to have to do a GMO tour when I began, but now that it is done and I see the total outcome, I am not that upset. I certainly can't complain that with the Reserves and the MGIB I should be making roughly 100K.

As to the OP, subpar stats can only make up so much ground when it comes to applying for a residency after you finish your GMO tour. It will certainly give you a leg up on other applicants when applying for a civilian residency, as you would have a unique experience that others would not. However, if you have Boards score less than 200 and you are competing against people above a 240 for competitive residencies, you are going to have an uphill battle (to say the least!). IMHO, the GMO helps the borderline competitive applicants the most. For example, somebody applying for a Derm/Rads/etc. residency with Boards in 220-240 range, graduating from a lower tier med school, and ranks in the top 1/2 of class with good LORs.

Agreed with above. I know for a fact that GMO can help in the AF for AF residencies, ESPECIALLY if you've got some deployments under your belt. This is from friends I've known who've gone through the process as well as knowledge of the points system used for residencies.

Due to the variability and risks associated with GMO tours, this is not a strategy I would recommend however.

I'm probably one of the few who see it this way but a "GMO" was a blessing in disguise for me. If I did not have the option of doing flight surgery, I would be finishing up my 3rd year of internal medicine right now, just the thought of that makes me cringe...

The primary advantage of doing a GMO tour in the Navy is that not doing one will require you to violate a lawful order. If you can train straight-through, no matter your specialty, you should do so. If you can't, make the best of a GMO tour. BTW, things are slowly changing. I heard that a urology resident in Portsmouth starting next month is a straight-through intern.

Those numbers are nowhere near accurate for the Army. The OP needs to specify the service to which he is referring.
this is correct. A small percentage of Army interns end up doing GMO's. Those that do usually are transitionals who weren't that competitive to start or those who got booted from a residency. At my residency is seems to be about 5-10%.

this is correct. A small percentage of Army interns end up doing GMO's. Those that do usually are transitionals who weren't that competitive to start or those who got booted from a residency. At my residency is seems to be about 5-10%.
Agree with this ^^^. Army has much lower GMO rates than the others, and is highly residency dependent. The last data I saw showed a GMO rate of 30% for EM, which is one of the more competitive.

Agree with this ^^^. Army has much lower GMO rates than the others, and is highly residency dependent. The last data I saw showed a GMO rate of 30% for EM, which is one of the more competitive.
Does anyone have the match data for the Army, I've been looking for it and can't find it anywhere

Thanks

Any feedback please

Setting aside the discussion of merits and hazards of having to practice with less training than you might otherwise have, the GMO really doesn't give you all that much. The problem is that these days, most applicants for desirable specialties will have done at least one tour. Unless you have done prior service in some distinguished way, you will also need to have a GMO tour on your transcript.

With the services having shrunk their training programs and having sent many retirees outside the military care system through Tricare, the number of slots for returning GMOs is proportionally smaller than in the past. This means that for many accessions, particularly through HPSP (less through USUHS,) the GMO tour is a terminal assignment.

Whether having a GMO tour helps or not in applying as a civilian, that argument goes back and forth. Certainly some have found it to be an advantage, others, not as much.