babooforboo

2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2016
9
1
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hello, community!

I am just about done my application for this cycle, and I was wondering what people thought about the possibility of going to a foreign vet school like Ross or SGU versus waiting another cycle to get into an american school (preferably my IS choice).

I ask because I am a bit nervous about being rejected from all my US choices this cycle, but I think I may have a shot at Ross or SGU. Is it worth waiting a year? I already chose to take a gap year after I graduated in May, so if I bypass this upcoming cycle for the next one, I'd be taking 2 gap years essentially.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)
 

Awapi

UGA VetMed c/o 2021
7+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2010
365
281
Status
Veterinary Student
@babooforboo First off, don't count yourself out! A lot of people come on here thinking that they will not get in to a certain school and then end up getting in. By giving advice here I am not supporting you being down on your chances, :) haha, I just understand thinking ahead.

Just working off the (possibly false) assumption that you *might* not get in:

1) Where is your IS and is your IS significantly cheaper than Ross/SGU? (Not just tuition, but also cost of living/travel/etc)
2) What would you be doing next year if you decided to take another stab at applying to your IS? Would you be making money? What would you be doing differently to improve your application?
3) If your IS is not significantly cheaper, would you have a strong application for a school like NCSU where you can switch to in-state tuition after a year?

Last year before submitting on VMCAS I had a whole spreadsheet of all the schools I was going to apply to. At the time I had a job that I loved and I ultimately realized that if I did not get in to my in-state during that cycle, it would be smartest (for me) to try at least one more time before considering somewhere OOS (and a lot more expensive). It ended up working out, but even if it hadn't I still think being prepared to try for my IS again was the best plan for me. It's not the same for everyone, but since I was going to be working and my IS has low tuition, it was worth it for me.

It sounds like you already submitted VMCAS and I think applying to several schools is nice because it gives you something else to focus on - all my eggs were in one basket which was very stressful at times.

If I were you, I'd think about cost comparisons and why your application would be different next year - I'd use the combination of that info and decide from there. Ross and SGU are both great schools, I think the biggest downside is cost - if (for some reason) there is not a big cost difference for you OR if you don't think your chances of getting in to your IS or a cheaper option are good for next year and you have an acceptance to SGU/Ross this year then that's something to also heavily consider.
 
  • Like
Reactions: babooforboo

that redhead

7+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2010
10,598
8,946
Ross and SGU are a lot more competitive to get into versus when they weren't yet accredited. I wouldn't assume acceptance there if your application needs work.

If you're rejected from US schools, ask for a file review. Find your weak points, address them and then apply intelligently in a following cycle.
 
About the Ads
OP
B

babooforboo

2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2016
9
1
Status
Pre-Veterinary
@babooforboo First off, don't count yourself out! A lot of people come on here thinking that they will not get in to a certain school and then end up getting in. By giving advice here I am not supporting you being down on your chances, :) haha, I just understand thinking ahead.

Just working off the (possibly false) assumption that you *might* not get in:

1) Where is your IS and is your IS significantly cheaper than Ross/SGU? (Not just tuition, but also cost of living/travel/etc)
2) What would you be doing next year if you decided to take another stab at applying to your IS? Would you be making money? What would you be doing differently to improve your application?
3) If your IS is not significantly cheaper, would you have a strong application for a school like NCSU where you can switch to in-state tuition after a year?

Last year before submitting on VMCAS I had a whole spreadsheet of all the schools I was going to apply to. At the time I had a job that I loved and I ultimately realized that if I did not get in to my in-state during that cycle, it would be smartest (for me) to try at least one more time before considering somewhere OOS (and a lot more expensive). It ended up working out, but even if it hadn't I still think being prepared to try for my IS again was the best plan for me. It's not the same for everyone, but since I was going to be working and my IS has low tuition, it was worth it for me.

It sounds like you already submitted VMCAS and I think applying to several schools is nice because it gives you something else to focus on - all my eggs were in one basket which was very stressful at times.

If I were you, I'd think about cost comparisons and why your application would be different next year - I'd use the combination of that info and decide from there. Ross and SGU are both great schools, I think the biggest downside is cost - if (for some reason) there is not a big cost difference for you OR if you don't think your chances of getting in to your IS or a cheaper option are good for next year and you have an acceptance to SGU/Ross this year then that's something to also heavily consider.
Wow this is really great advice! Thanks, Awapi!

So my IS is in Louisiana, and so it is significantly cheaper than Ross or SGU.

Next year I would probably be working while trying to retake some classes. The portion of my application that is holding me back is definitely academic. I got a few bad grades on pre-reqs, so I've already started working on retaking those to improve my chances on a later application. I have a lot of experience, especially in SA, but even some in exotics. So while I could always improve there, I doubt that is what would hold me back.

I'm not sure how strong my application would be relative to an OOS option like NCSU where I could get in state tuition quickly. I think I really just need to pull up a few grades. Granted, my GRE is not super impressive, but it isn't far below average either (in fact I think my verbal is above average). And like I said, I have a lot of experience.

Either way, what I do during my (potential) second gap year is relevant to whether I accept an offer or wait a year, as you point out.

I definitely think my decision to go to Ross or SGU might be easier after a file review. If my IS option says that there were very few problems, it's probably worth applying another cycle.

Thanks again!
 

cdoconn

I hover quickly
2+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2016
11,102
17,666
Status
Veterinary Student
@babooforboo I talked with my mentor about this and I'll pass on his advice.

You just graduated from college, right? So assuming you're a standard student, you're likely 21-23 years old. You'll have 4 years left of vet school, and then you'll have the rest of your life to practice- likely 30 to 40 years (more if you can) If 1 year is going to end up costing you over $100,000 pre-interest (both with increased tuition and in COL), the year that you take off to save money is a drop in the bucket of your life. It's only like 1/80th to 1/90th of your life in the long run. So I would consider that as well!

Also don't sell yourself short with your application- I applied thinking I wouldn't get in, got 4 rejections back to back within a month and then got my acceptance! All you need is one! :laugh:
 
  • Like
Reactions: bluechis
About the Ads