go from a 17 to 24 in 1 month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

achilles_89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it is possible to go from a 17 to at least a 24 in one month of studying 16 hours a day?

The 17 (5 verbal,.6 physical,.6 biological) I got with no studying.

I understand that this is not ideal but that is the position I am in and I have to take it in one month.

Is it realistic to see an improvement of 24 in one month?

Ideally I would like to get a 27+ but I don't know if that is too much of a stretch?

Any advice on how to study this next month would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No I am not.

I already applied to DO schools and I need a MCAT score. I had planned for a lot more time to study but due to personal reasons I now have one month to study.,

So do you think it is realistic to get a 24+ in one month of studying 16 hours a day, ideally I would like to get a 27+ but I dunno if that is too much of a reach?

Thanks!

Anything is possible as long as you are capable of actually doing it. You also have to include the time for practice exams and the time to review them. Why not take it in March?

Members don't see this ad :)
No I am not.

I already applied to DO schools and I need a MCAT score. I had planned for a lot more time to study but due to personal reasons I now have one month to study.,

So do you think it is realistic to get a 24+ in one month of studying 16 hours a day, ideally I would like to get a 27+ but I dunno if that is too much of a reach?

Thanks!

Yes. You could get a 24. I would say that after the eighth hour or so, your brain will be too fried to absorb much. TBH, I just think the whole thing is a terrible idea. I know that you've already applied to DO schools, but a 24 is still on the low side for DO schools. I think you'd have a more successful app year if you applied next year, and gave more time to the MCAT. IMO, you shouldn't take the MCAT until you're getting at least a 30 on practice tests.

Yes, I think you can. Guys, 24 is just average. While I agree he should strive for more, OP only asked if in 1 month a 24 is possible and I really think so. That was my average before starting to studying and a 24 is really just showing you at least understand the basics/what the hell is going on.

Without any problem likely. That being said, it's unlikely you'll get in this late to a DO school, especially with a 24. So it might be better to just end your attempt this cycle, put in an extra 2-3 month and take the mcat then.

Thanks for the responses.

I understand that out is not likely to get in at this point but I would still like to try since I have already submitted my application to 10 schools.

Do you think getting a 27 is possible? Is out that difficult to go from a 6 to a 9 in a section?

Thanks

Without any problem likely. That being said, it's unlikely you'll get in this late to a DO school, especially with a 24. So it might be better to just end your attempt this cycle, put in an extra 2-3 month and take the mcat then.

This. Do people get in with a 24? Sometimes, but these people play the game right--have a stellar GPA and apply the earliest one possibly can in a cycle to maximize their chances. I would highly recommend you to save your $$ and apply next cycle.

I understand that out is not likely to get in at this point but I would still like to try since I have already submitted my application to 10 schools.

Do you think getting a 27 is possible? Is out that difficult to go from a 6 to a 9 in a section?

Thanks

This is not a question anyone can really answer for you, some people are good test takers and some people aren't....why don't you study for 3 weeks and take a practice test and see how you do.

I agree with YouNeverKnow22, only you know what level of effort you are able to put in. Some people take 4 months to study and study maybe 4 hours a day. Maybe for you, you need to study 10 hours a day for the full month but the key is doing your level best, not giving up, and keep doing full lengths and reviewing your results. Never say never.
ps i'm in a similar boat, keep plugging away!

No I am not.

Thanks!

It's kind of too late and a 24 mcat score wont help that late in the game IMO....

Last edited:

Thanks

I'll be out right and say that it is difficult to go up even one point, but it is not impossible and with enough hard work it will happen. But you need time, a lot more time than one month.

Do you think it is possible to go from a 17 to at least a 24 in one month of studying 16 hours a day?

The 17 (5 verbal,.6 physical,.6 biological) I got with no studying.

I understand that this is not ideal but that is the position I am in and I have to take it in one month.

Is it realistic to see an improvement of 24 in one month?

Ideally I would like to get a 27+ but I don't know if that is too much of a stretch?

Any advice on how to study this next month would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Hey tennisdesi/24+ guy ...hope you haven't given up and still giving it your best shot!!