Go to St.Louis Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

droshan

Waitlist King!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about their experiences at St.Louis? I've checked the interview thread but haven't found anything substantial. What are the pros and cons of the school? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I know there are few of us that just got the interview invite yesterday and who are trying to figure out whether to go or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Pros:
*It's in a city, so there is a lot to do/see.
*They have free clinics you can start working in as early as your first year.
*The administration seemed very interested in knowing the students and helping them in any way they can.

Cons:
*St. Louis is not the safest city, our tour guide told us we should get a club for our steering wheel if we're going to have a car.

My interview was with one of the deans, most of his questions were about activities/extra-curriculars on my amcas application. He also asked why I would want to go to SLU, why I want to be a doctor, and those sorts of things. It was pretty relaxed and afterwards he took me on my own little personal tour to show me a neat study area.

If you like interviewing or are considering SLU I would recommend going, it won't be stressful.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm in the same boat as droshan. i currently have acceptances at a&m, evms and uic and am on the fence about going to the slu interview... i keep going back and forth!

the good things i hear about the program include the administration, patient population, block scheduling, cheap cost of living, research facilities.

the bad include the tuition, and the safety (or lack there of) the area.

i don't know if i would pay 47k to go here over 24k at a&m...

any thoughts?

i'm in the same boat as droshan. i currently have acceptances at a&m, evms and uic and am on the fence about going to the slu interview... i keep going back and forth!

the good things i hear about the program include the administration, patient population, block scheduling, cheap cost of living, research facilities.

any thoughts?

Back when in interviewed many of the applicants commented on the laid back non-confrontational aspect of the interview. My interviewer seemed genuinely interested in finding out who I was.

Honestly though, the hardest question I was asked was "why are you interested in attending SLU." If you truly love the city then it's easy to answer. But if you don't know much about Saint Louis, and you are just somewhat familiar with their curriculum, it can become difficult to answer - for some I imagine. Overall, it was a fun, not too stressful interview process.
Just my 0.02 cents.

oh yea, when I arrived there in the early winter it felt as if I was sticking my head in a freezer. very cold, Take at a warm coat.

Question: What makes St. Louis a better city than, say, any other city? How does it fit one's personality?

any thoughts?

SLU is a great school, but definitely not worth 92 thousand dollars over the course of 4 years... A & M is a great school, maybe there is a school out there you'd be willing to take on that kind of debt to attend but I doubt it would be SLU.

I'd vote that you save the money and not go on this interview...

SLU is a great school, but definitely not worth 92 thousand dollars over the course of 4 years... A & M is a great school, maybe there is a school out there you'd be willing to take on that kind of debt to attend but I doubt it would be SLU.

that was my conclusion as well... thanks everyone for the advice!

It's a valid point - I think everyone has different "pain thresholds" for how much debt they want at the end of this medical education debacle. SLU is about 25k more than my next best option, hence why I am pursuing it still. 92k... well... its your call on that.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences at St.Louis? I've checked the interview thread but haven't found anything substantial. What are the pros and cons of the school? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I know there are few of us that just got the interview invite yesterday and who are trying to figure out whether to go or not.

to the best of my knowledge, slu does do some regional interviewing in CA. if you could get yourself a regional, i would definitely go.

as far as the school itself, it's similar to all of the other jesuit schools in that it emphasizes humanistic medicine. slu is also considered one of the more research heavy jesuit med schools. however, tuition is very expensive and st. louis is considered one of the most dangerous cities in the USA: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/12/06/national/main532163.shtml