go to USC interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherryblossom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-I've already been to 6 interviews.
-rejected by 2
-havent heard from 2 of them in over 3 weeks. call them and they said "no decision" yet.
-waitlisted at 1 school
-just got back from a recent interview
-not really interested in pbl

so to go or not to go to usc? hmmm....i'm thinking don't go...and if i dont get in anywhere just reapply the next year? or just settle with somewhere i dont really want to go?

Members don't see this ad.

well considering you haven't been accepted anywhere yet, I would go just to see 1) if they will accept you, but most importantly 2) if you just might like the school. Nothing would be a worse feeling than to have to wait another entire year and wonder what if...I mean in the long scheme of things, the $3-400 or so dollars you might spend for the interview is nothing if it'll save you a year. Unless you know for sure that you really don't want to go there, I'd go to the interview. But, why did you apply there in the first place? you already invested the $200 to apply to usc.

Go to the interview. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
well considering you haven't been accepted anywhere yet, I would go just to see 1) if they will accept you, but most importantly 2) if you just might like the school. Nothing would be a worse feeling than to have to wait another entire year and wonder what if...I mean in the long scheme of things, the $3-400 or so dollars you might spend for the interview is nothing if it'll save you a year. Unless you know for sure that you really don't want to go there, I'd go to the interview. But, why did you apply there in the first place? you already invested the $200 to apply to usc.

i didnt know it was pbl until after i applied. then i kept hearing bad things about it like the students not doing as well on their boards with pbl, the school being in a bad area, etc. also, the school is so expensive it might worth waiting a year to go there maybe...i wish i wasnt so indecisive

i wouldnt go..youll get accepted somewhere else. dont waste your money.:)

I interviewed at USC and it was definitely not for me... The PBL for almost everything and no class ranking were not appealing but that's me. Some people love it there for those reasons that I wouldn't. If you haven't gotten in anywhere yet you have to go. Dental school is better than no dental school. Who knows... you could love it.

Go to the interview! you're not in yet and until you are you cant turn down interview invites. Good Luck!

dont go the area is horrible and its so expenisve to teach yourself. i went to undergrad there so ghetto ur in south central la and the clinic is ugly. if u can wait out the other schools and save ur 90k a year

If USC is the only school that accepts you, would you attend or you dislike it so much that you'd rather re-apply next cycle? If your answer is the former you should go to the interview. If the latter, why bother?

Good luck! I hope you get in a school that you like better.

The guy who lives down the hall from me is a 4th year at USC dental - he always encourages me to go somewhere else - he really doesn't like it there. That said, I would go if I got an interview.

The guy who lives down the hall from me is a 4th year at USC dental - he always encourages me to go somewhere else - he really doesn't like it there. That said, I would go if I got an interview.

oh yeah, I guess it would help to tell you that I live in an apartment complex in LA.

If USC is the only school that accepts you, would you attend or you dislike it so much that you'd rather re-apply next cycle? If your answer is the former you should go to the interview. If the latter, why bother?

Good luck! I hope you get in a school that you like better.

wouldnt most ppl agree that it's more important to go somewhere u like then go somewhere out of desperation just cause you got in? i guess a lot of ppl think taking a year off is a really bad thing to do? i do feel as though i am getting pretty old though....

I heard so many "bad things" about the school on SDN that I wasn't sure if i should go, but I went to the interview anyway. The area is not bad at all, compared to any other city I've been to. The area just outside the campus has tons of students jogging, bike-riding, etc at night. Campus itself is really nice and obviously very safe. The dental school is located on the main campus.

PBL seems to give you lots of free time as a 1st year, but you also have to be motivated. The students at lunch said they feel really relaxed and have class only 3 days a week. The clinic is nice, and the avg score on Part I of the boards last year was in the high 80's. If not for the "bad reputation" by random people on SDN who have never attended the school, I'd have it as a top choice. For some reason I'm letting that affect my decision. But don't let that stop you from interviewing. The interview is really laid back.

I heard so many "bad things" about the school on SDN that I wasn't sure if i should go, but I went to the interview anyway. The area is not bad at all, compared to any other city I've been to. The area just outside the campus has tons of students jogging, bike-riding, etc at night. Campus itself is really nice and obviously very safe. The dental school is located on the main campus.

PBL seems to give you lots of free time as a 1st year, but you also have to be motivated. The students at lunch said they feel really relaxed and have class only 3 days a week. The clinic is nice, and the avg score on Part I of the boards last year was in the high 80's. If not for the "bad reputation" by random people on SDN who have never attended the school, I'd have it as a top choice. For some reason I'm letting that affect my decision. But don't let that stop you from interviewing. The interview is really laid back.

did you learn anything about the specialization rates? since it's pbl, are the rates good? thanks a lot!

did you learn anything about the specialization rates? since it's pbl, are the rates good? thanks a lot!

If someone asked that question at the interview, I don't remember what the answer was. You could probably ask the admissions office or Private Message someone from the boards who is attending the school.

This thread is funny, if you don't want to go to USC don't go to the interview genius... We don't want you anyways! haha

wouldnt most ppl agree that it's more important to go somewhere u like then go somewhere out of desperation just cause you got in? i guess a lot of ppl think taking a year off is a really bad thing to do? i do feel as though i am getting pretty old though....

Well... Can you be completely sure that you don't like the school if you don't give yourself a chance to meet the faculty and see the facilities? If I were you I'd go to the interview first. And after being accepted, I'd then ask "is USC worth attending?"

Taking a year off doesn't look bad, if you utilize your time off wisely. I did and I am very happy with my decision :) .

Well... Can you be completely sure that you don't like the school if you don't give yourself a chance to meet the faculty and see the facilities? If I were you I'd go to the interview first. And after being accepted, I'd then ask "is USC worth attending?"

Taking a year off doesn't look bad, if you utilize your time off wisely. I did and I am very happy with my decision :) .

May I ask what you did in the meantime?