Go with Industry offer or keep studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HwaCha777

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, recent pharmacy grad here. Long story short, I took both the NAPLEX and MPJE, but failed both of them on the first attempt. I've also been applying to jobs for a couple months now, but very few have called back for interviews but no offers. I was beyond frustrated, especially not passing the license exams. However, I did receive an interview, and ultimately an offer, with a well known pharma/healthcare company for a QC position.

My question is, should I go through with this offer or should I continue to study for the license exams? I've never had experience with the industry, but I've heard that it's quite difficult for a pharm grad to gain an entry level role for any industry roles. Thanks all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a joke? Of course take the job. You can always keep working on getting licensed if that is important to you but why are you second guessing taking a job you applied and interviewed for?

Reactions: 6 users
Wait. Are you questioning if you should take the job, in your words, that is hard to get?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a joke? Of course take the job. You can always keep working on getting licensed if that is important to you but why are you second guessing taking a job you applied and interviewed

Is this a joke? Of course take the job. You can always keep working on getting licensed if that is important to you but why are you second guessing taking a job you applied and interviewed for?
I guess it's because it's not really pharmacy related, and that I would be taking a major pay cut. But with the full time benefits, 401K, stock options, generous PTO, no weekends, I would be stupid to decline. And you are right, I can always study again while working.

Wait. Are you questioning if you should take the job, in your words, that is hard to get?
I guess I'm questioning in the sense that I felt like a failure after failing both exams, and didn't think I was worthy to be a Pharmacist. Plus, I didn't think I would get this offer, and that my chances were slim to none.

You need to decide what your end goal is. If your aspiration is to work at Walgreens or CVS then you decline the offer.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to decide what your end goal is. If your aspiration is to work at Walgreens or CVS then you decline the offer.

That's no one's aspiration

Reactions: 1 users
I had applied to all the nearby CVS and Walgreens, and none of them got back to me. My goal before was to be a prior authorization Pharmacist, or even LTC. With this new role, I'm quite nervous since I don't have direct QC experience, but I'm going to give it a shot

If you have a job offer and it's the only job offer on the horizon, take it. You can always keep studying for the boards and retake exams later (don't wait too long, though, you will forget stuff you don't use). If you don't like the QC job, you can jump ship once you get licensed.

Is this a chemist position you got the offer for?

I guess it's because it's not really pharmacy related, and that I would be taking a major pay cut. But with the full time benefits, 401K, stock options, generous PTO, no weekends, I would be stupid to decline. And you are right, I can always study again while working.
It’s only a major pay cut if you are already a licensed rph making $120k+ per year, which you are not. You don’t have a job, so this is actually a pay increase from what you currently make, that being $0. Take the job, and continue to study in your spare time if you want. You never know where this job may lead you.

Reactions: 3 users
A pay cut from the job that you don't have?

Reactions: 3 users
You’re worried about a paycut and youre not even employed?

Members don't see this ad :)
the two options are not mutually exclusive - take the job, continue to study. You are not going to get hired as a Rph without a license (at least for any job that requires a license) - then continue to keep looking if that is what you want to do - but do it while employed. It is a lot easier to get a job when you have one vs when you don't (gaps on resume, etc)

This has to be a troll post

Seems reasonable to me? I mean, yeah obviously take the job. But a major pay cut and transitioning to a different field would make a lot of people second guess their decision.
This 100%. This is what I meant, and I also wanted to see if anyone else had been in this situation.

On a positive note, half of my loans have already been paid off (total debt was just under 140k) thanks to whatever I had left from my savings and family members.

the two options are not mutually exclusive - take the job, continue to study. You are not going to get hired as a Rph without a license (at least for any job that requires a license) - then continue to keep looking if that is what you want to do - but do it while employed. It is a lot easier to get a job when you have one vs when you don't (gaps on resume, etc)
Thanks so much for the insight Dred. I'm going to continue to study while working, and whatever happens, I'll roll with the process.

If you have a job offer and it's the only job offer on the horizon, take it. You can always keep studying for the boards and retake exams later (don't wait too long, though, you will forget stuff you don't use). If you don't like the QC job, you can jump ship once you get licensed.
Most definitely

It’s only a major pay cut if you are already a licensed rph making $120k+ per year, which you are not. You don’t have a job, so this is actually a pay increase from what you currently make, that being $0. Take the job, and continue to study in your spare time if you want. You never know where this job may lead you.
Thanks Junfan50. I've looked into more information about industry roles for PharmD's, and I feel very lucky to at least have my foot in the door in Pharma

Seems reasonable to me? I mean, yeah obviously take the job. But a major pay cut and transitioning to a different field would make a lot of people second guess their decision.

The OP made it seem as though they were questioning if they should take an industry (unicorn that most pharmacists would kill for) job over a "higher paying" one at CVS or Walgreens, the latter which the OP does not even have and does not quality due to the lack of licensure.

Thanks Junfan50. I've looked into more information about industry roles for PharmD's, and I feel very lucky to at least have my foot in the door in Pharma

I would like to offer a counter opinion against the majority which seems for you to take the position. I would advise against taking the position (or any position) as taking the position will limit your time to study for the NAPLEX and MPJE. By working part time or full time you are taking away core hours you could be using to maximize your score on the next test attempt. Right now you need to pass the NAPLEX and MPJE as soon as possible to get into the market as saturation will only get worse over time and you are missing out on relatively high earnings as a full time pharmacist.

I required 6 months of studying on average 7 hours a day (7 days a week) to pass the NAPLEX. The NAPLEX is a serious 6 hour exam that must be taken extremely serious. Without the score being released any more it's hard to say if I over studied for the NAPLEX.

With only 4 NAPLEX attempts remaining it is critical that you maximize your chance of success on the examination by not working and studying. However, I concede, this study strategy is only possible if you have a family house you can live at rent free. If your situation is that you need to work to afford a place to live than I see how that might not be possible.

I know someone that is on her 4th attempt to pass the NAPLEX over 4 years. She has worked many part time jobs for part time job pay and I feel like this may have limited her ability to study for the NAPLEX.

Also you should be taking the NAPLEX first and not taking the MPJE till after you pass the NAPLEX. NAPLEX is a much harder and longer examination. You need to just focus on passing the NAPLEX first although it does not hurt to have ATT ready for the MPJE as many states require you to pass the MPJE within 12 months of passing the NAPLEX. The good news is you have experience with the NAPLEX so now you know what to expect.

Last edited:
I hope OP took the job before someone else did.

As someone who has been in industry, and in retail (and passed NAPLEX/MPJE), I would not pass up an industry offer for the sake of passing boards - if industry is what you want to do. I would accept the offer and take the boards again while working. If you fail, just move on and progress your industry career.

I would like to offer a counter opinion against the majority which seems for you to take the position. I would advise against taking the position (or any position) as taking the position will limit your time to study for the NAPLEX and MPJE. By working part time or full time you are taking away core hours you could be using to maximize your score on the next test attempt. Right now you need to pass the NAPLEX and MPJE as soon as possible to get into the market as saturation will only get worse over time and you are missing out on relatively high earnings as a full time pharmacist.

I required 6 months of studying on average 7 hours a day (7 days a week) to pass the NAPLEX. The NAPLEX is a serious 6 hour exam that must be taken extremely serious. Without the score being released any more it's hard to say if I over studied for the NAPLEX.

With only 4 NAPLEX attempts remaining it is critical that you maximize your chance of success on the examination by not working and studying. However, I concede, this study strategy is only possible if you have a family house you can live at rent free. If your situation is that you need to work to afford a place to live than I see how that might not be possible.

I know someone that is on her 4th attempt to pass the NAPLEX over 4 years. She has worked many part time jobs for part time job pay and I feel like this may have limited her ability to study for the NAPLEX.

Also you should be taking the NAPLEX first and not taking the MPJE till after you pass the NAPLEX. NAPLEX is a much harder and longer examination. You need to just focus on passing the NAPLEX first although it does not hurt to have ATT ready for the MPJE as many states require you to pass the MPJE within 12 months of passing the NAPLEX. The good news is you have experience with the NAPLEX so now you know what to expect.

I studied for another state license exam while working 40 hours/week as a retail RPH in my home state and still passed.
FWIW.