Going back to a post-doc after getting licensed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylortaylor164

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently thinking about what my plan will be after graduation. I currently live in a state that does not require post-doc hours for licensure. I intend to practice in this state once licensed and work in private practice for many years. My question is, if in a few decades I need to move to a state that requires post-doc, will I be out of luck? I asked previously about the Fielding Neuropsychology post doc certificate that seem to be geared for licensed professionals who want to get post doc experience in neuropsychology, and that seems to be an option if I do want to switch states. Is going back for an intervention post-doc out of the question?

Members don't see this ad.

I am also a bit confused what you mean by intervention post-doc. Generally though, there are two ways you can manage this. Complete a formal post-doc or find a job/clinician willing to supervise you informally and document the hours. Have those hours logged on a credentials bank. That said, if you have no plans to leave the state, you may want to take your chances as you will likely qualify for license reciprocity after 10 years or so in many states.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Intervention being therapy as opposed to assessment/neuropsychology

You're asking an impossible question.

Out of all of the potential states and US territories to which you could be moving, would that state's law have a time limit on post doc completion, and would that law still be the same "many years" in the future, and will re-specialization programs still exist at that time considering they are increasingly less common, and would someone be willing to supervise you in the context of increased liability, and would they be able to bill for your unlicensed services in that new location, and would you be able to afford the reduction in income after establishing a lifestyle for several years, and will ASPPB change all of that?

Who knows?

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Are you fixing to respecialize? If so, you may even need extra coursework. My state will let you use predoctoral hours, but you really do need a post doc. It’s not even comparable to how much better I am for it than other professionals who just did an internship.

For reals though, there is a lack of self-awareness here. You need a post-doc to cover your ass and learn more. Honestly, I can’t believe my state allows licensure without a post doc.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Intervention being therapy as opposed to assessment/neuropsychology
Assessment/neuropsychology are interventions.

Do the postdoc. Not doing one seems like much more of a risk and potential hassle. My postdoc year was my favorite year of training and really nailed down my professional identity and increased my confidence exponentially.

• Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
Bottom line, you can make it work in some states without the postdoc, and some states have seniority clauses in their licensure that can waive the requirement if you have practiced X number of years without any board actions and such. But, I agree with others regarding competency in general. Also, I would look at it pragmatically. You can spend an extra year now, to potentially make things astronomically easier for yourself down the road. I have many colleagues and friends who finished up training with a grand plan to practice in X state and X job, but ended up moving within 2-3 years for various reasons. I'm a big fan of flexibility and future-proofing your job as much as you can. Particularly with something as easy as a postdoc year.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello,

I am currently thinking about what my plan will be after graduation. I currently live in a state that does not require post-doc hours for licensure. I intend to practice in this state once licensed and work in private practice for many years. My question is, if in a few decades I need to move to a state that requires post-doc, will I be out of luck? I asked previously about the Fielding Neuropsychology post doc certificate that seem to be geared for licensed professionals who want to get post doc experience in neuropsychology, and that seems to be an option if I do want to switch states. Is going back for an intervention post-doc out of the question?
If you are not willing to do a post-doc now, why would you want or be willing to do one in 15-20 years. This doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Assessment/neuropsychology are interventions.

Do the postdoc. Not doing one seems like much more of a risk and potential hassle. My postdoc year was my favorite year of training and really nailed down my professional identity and increased my confidence exponentially.
Wholeheartedly agree!

Reactions: 1 user
I personally would just do the postdoc now and get it out of the way. You will very likely be paid less than as a full-time employee, but you're already in "student" mode at the moment, and your postdoc pay could still be a raise compared to grad school and internship. The pay, and the idea of working under someone else's license and supervision, will probably be much more palatable now than it will years down the line.

I also don't know of any state that requires a formal postdoc. Every state code I've looked at just requires a certain duration of supervised practice with a specified amount of supervision and, sometimes, clinical hours. This could relatively easily be completed in a private practice setting, assuming the supervising psychologist is willing to take that on. However, if the potential supervisor hasn't been involved in postdoctoral supervision before, you'll want to carefully read your state's guidelines and requirements ahead of time. Some states, for example, require that the supervisor register in advance with the board that they'll be providing postdoctoral supervision to you for the year, and many will limit how many trainees a psychologist can supervise. States also sometimes specify the title you should use as a postdoc.

Reactions: 1 users
I think more and more states are moving away from the idea of “formal” post docs but still consider X number of supervision hours for licensure .

For example my home state got rid of post doc hours with the caveat that all your practicums combined equal at least 1 year of hours (ie 1,750) plus your 1 year of internship. I went this route and had one practicum rejected for not meeting average number of hours per week required for “post doc” licensure hours even though at the time it met practicum and degree requirements. I found someone able to supervise me and meet those requirements for the outstanding hours which im nearly finished.

As for moving here or from here a colleague told me of a friend who moved to another state didn’t have “enough” hours that met their requirements , so they had to have someone sign off on their hours at their new job until licensed. I think that’s becoming more mainstream as laws and regulations catch up to the real world.

Even on the EPPP you’re seeing ethical questions related to multiple relationships as it relates to “supervising” certain people at one’s work and whether in the work roles it’s ethical or not. So there seems to be a growing realization for more flexibility and standardization across the country rather than state by state.

Makes sense to me. After all ethically and professionally if one wants to later specialize in something else (ie a psychologist specializing in family therapy wants to focus on neuropsychological evals would want to seek additional experience, ideally under supervision or guidance , to competently do that. As well as for board certification should they want that), wouldn’t this be similar to getting extra “supervised” hours if you need a license in another state that wants more hours ?

But really the supervised hours requirement should be uniform across all US states and territories anyways.

Last edited: