Going back to a residency + Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OutWest435

Reaction score
Been practicing for a year and going to be moving to go back and specialize for 2 years in a different state. I have a small family and dog so that limits some rental options. Would you buy a modest house around $200k knowing you'd only live in it for 2 years? Would be able to put $40k down. Or do you think $2k a month for rent would be a better option? Stipend is $60k a year with no tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
New York; 3 bed 1-2 bath.
What does a $200k house in NY look like?

How much will you be able to save per month if you rent a similar sized house for the next 2 years? Keep in mind that the monthly mortgage is not the only thing you have to pay if you own a house.

wow. I will never live in the bay area

Any time I hear or read about NY, I think of NYC. I would buy that house in a heart beat if it was an hr away....Go Josh Allen and the Bills!

Rule of thumb is 5 years for buying to be worthwhile. Unless you’re serious about renting it out in the future, probably not worth it. Interest rates are pretty high too. Plus maintenance and taxes/fees when you sell…Just rent and not worry about it IMO.

Reactions: 1 user

This is comical

Reactions: 1 user