Going Back to do Optometric Residency after 1 year out

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fitdoc123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
really want to do a residency but because i failed part 1 2x i couldn't go. but i am currently studying for part 1 now and i really want to do a residency. I already pass part 2/TMOD and 3 on the first time. my gpa is 2.9, and i got an A in all my clinical rotations.
for anyone that is in a residency or completed one- how much will residency supervisors look at the fact that i failed part 1 2x? I will pass part 1 this time so that during my interview I can say that I have passed and they will see it on my score report

Members don't see this ad.

First off, congrats on passing Boards! That’s a huge accomplishment. Second, residency was the best decision I ever made. You have no clue how much you don’t know until you have completed the residency.
As for getting accepted/matched into one, some programs are easier than others. For example, I believe cornea and contact lens residencies only offer 20 or so spots across the US, so the chances of getting accepted is much lower. Disease and primary care residencies have far more slots, so the match should be easier.
As long as you pass boards, that is all that matters. Your determination and charisma will get you into a slot, and you can always post match as long as you’re not picky.
I’d apply to 7-10 programs just to be sure you get matched.

Best of luck!

really want to do a residency but because i failed part 1 2x i couldn't go. but i am currently studying for part 1 now and i really want to do a residency. I already pass part 2/TMOD and 3 on the first time. my gpa is 2.9, and i got an A in all my clinical rotations.
for anyone that is in a residency or completed one- how much will residency supervisors look at the fact that i failed part 1 2x? I will pass part 1 this time so that during my interview I can say that I have passed and they will see it on my score report
Hope you passed step 1 this time around! Also wondering how it would look for residency