Going from low to high gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AAbid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically, during my undergraduate studies, I was majoring in Molecular and Cellular Bio and due to severe illnesses (multiple ones too), including 2 surgeries, my gpa was only 2.0. I still took 5 courses per semester for 2 years and my grades suffered.
Then I withdrew from the university and started after taking a full semester off to get proper treatments.
My gpa trend was as follows:
1st year: 2.0
2nd year: 2.5
3rd year: 3.5
4th year: 3.9

During both 3rd and 4th year, I took 6 courses per semester, all science courses, to prove that I can do better and handle such course load.
After graduating from BSC, I started Masters in Biology which I am completing in only one year and received 4.0 in summer and in this fall semester.

Cum GPA (Both undergrad and Masters): 3.2
Right now am studying for MCATs and am getting 30-31 in my practice exams.
I have extensive 6 years experience of research and am going to be a co-author in 3 publications.
I have a lot of shadowing experience and hospital volunteers as well.
I haven't applied for any MD schools yet. Is there a chance of me getting in for Fall 2014 semester if I apply now? And which schools should I apply for?

Members don't see this ad.

It's too late to apply now. Start getting your app ready for next year. I would shoot for a 34+ MCAT.

Alright. I have applied for both podiatry and PhD, there application deadlines and interviews are later. But there are no schools whose application deadlines are later on in the year or their seats might not have filled in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright. I have applied for both podiatry and PhD, there application deadlines and interviews are later. But there are no schools whose application deadlines are later on in the year or their seats might not have filled in?
I hate to be the person to say this, but is this decision spur of the moment? You're wishing to enter an incredibly vast and incredibly demanding field. It will kick you to the ground if you let it. While I'm not saying you lack dedication, you seem to have not done much research into potential options you may have. This may come as a bit of a hinderance. MSAR is an invaluable resource when looking at potential schools, I suggest you look into it.

Dude you haven't even taken the MCAT yet, how are you going to apply to medical school right this second?

Streampaw, is that you?

The application service for medical school, AMCAS, closed months ago. It opens up again in early June. You should look around these forums over the next few months and it'll help you learn about what you need to do to prepare for the next application cycle- pro tip: it's a lot more than you could ever imagine if you haven't even looked into AMCAS yet. But that's not to say you can't make it happen so good luck!