High sGPA, low cGPA, am I cooked?

Started by thatguy373
Tags Tags
question
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thatguy373

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, I'm applying this cycle and was wondering if I could get any advice on my stats,

I would say I have excellent EC's (took a gap year)

2,000 hours on research (2 first authors, 1 mid author, and a national research conference presentation)

1,000 non clinical (volunteering at a temple, hosted blood drives at said temple)

750 clinical hour experiences (worked as a scribe for a while)

100 shadowing hours in ONE speciality (loved doc)

750 leadership hours (Publich health intiatives, non profit I founded)

So basically, I have a 3.96 sGPA, and I have a 3.77 cGPA, and I have a 521 on the MCAT.

the reason for my VERY low cGPA is that I took Calculus.... as a high school junior, and since I was already in the heap of it, and some counselor pressure on I could do it, handed with a death of a close family member, I ended up missing the final exam (worth 50%) of my grade, I regret it so much thinking about it, but oh well, (retook the class that EXACT summer and got a 113% in the class, and now I think I'm cooked and I shouldn't even reach for the top schools. My choices are: 1. YOLO and apply this cycle (I have a great x factor and application, I think, but this is really throwing me off if I should), and I really want to go to a hard to reach med school since I'm always reaching for perfection and all that. 2. I do a post-bacc and recover some of my GPA, get ir around 3.81? 3. Just do nothing and admit it, IDK. What do you think I should do?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This does not compute. Calculus is included in sGPA as it is Math which is the M in CBPM. Furthermore, even losing 12 grade points (flunking a 3 credit course) doesn't drop a GPA that much.
I haven't accounted the Calculus grade into my sGPA, and also it was a 5 unit class.