Going from Retail to Industry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npatel1050

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
After working in retail since October 2014, I'm ready to shift gears and get into a new side of the profession.
After much research and contemplation, I think industry would best fit my lifestyle and needs

Can anyone provide any insight on where to start? What kind of stuff does industry look for in resumes? Has anyone made the shift?

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you put yourself down so much in your signature? 3.29 is a good GPA at PCP.
As far as industry, I only know of either people with fellowships getting into industry or clinical people transitioning. Not sure if maybe a drug info call center would take someone from retail.

Have you tried Excellerx? Lots of PCP grads go there and seem to be happy with their jobs.

Hey guys
After working in retail since October 2014, I'm ready to shift gears and get into a new side of the profession.
After much research and contemplation, I think industry would best fit my lifestyle and needs

Can anyone provide any insight on where to start? What kind of stuff does industry look for in resumes? Has anyone made the shift?

I am curious what in your research has told you that industry is best fit for your lifestyle and needs? what are your lifestyle and needs? what can industry offer to address those??

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious what in your research has told you that industry is best fit for your lifestyle and needs? what are your lifestyle and needs? what can industry offer to address those??
I want a job with a normal-ish schedule. I don't mind working having some variation, but I'd like to operate on a schedule that's more or less 9-5. I'd like to be off on the weekends. I want the flexibility of leaving early or coming in late if I need to. I want off for the federal holidays. I've always been goal driven and project oriented as opposed to task driven.

Being in retail with 13 hours days on my feet is not conducive to my health. I've steadily lost 15 pounds since I started in retail and now I'm down to a BMI of 17.8. I've been underweight my whole life. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I'm diagnosed with hypertension from all the stress I take on.
I want a job where I don't dread the drive to work every morning. A job that makes me feel human. Being able to take a lunch break and bathroom breaks. Everyone knows that retail is all about how they can get more from workers for less and I don't want to be around when something snaps. As pharmacists, we have been asked to do so much more in the past 5-10 years than most have been asked in their lifetimes. And I fear of losing my job or license. It feels like it's just a matter of time before I make a mistake so severe before I'm booted out. I feel completely disposable to retail. I don't feel valued.

I thought industry is a better fit for pretty much everyone's lifestyle and needs haha

Reactions: 3 users
I want a job with a normal-ish schedule. I don't mind working having some variation, but I'd like to operate on a schedule that's more or less 9-5. I'd like to be off on the weekends. I want the flexibility of leaving early or coming in late if I need to. I want off for the federal holidays. I've always been goal driven and project oriented as opposed to task driven.

Being in retail with 13 hours days on my feet is not conducive to my health. I've steadily lost 15 pounds since I started in retail and now I'm down to a BMI of 17.8. I've been underweight my whole life. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I'm diagnosed with hypertension from all the stress I take on.
I want a job where I don't dread the drive to work every morning. A job that makes me feel human. Being able to take a lunch break and bathroom breaks. Everyone knows that retail is all about how they can get more from workers for less and I don't want to be around when something snaps. As pharmacists, we have been asked to do so much more in the past 5-10 years than most have been asked in their lifetimes. And I fear of losing my job or license. It feels like it's just a matter of time before I make a mistake so severe before I'm booted out. I feel completely disposable to retail. I don't feel valued.

These are all very good sounding I think and much better than retail. Can you share what are some options for pharmacists to work in industry? Do you think there are a lot of opportunities?

Also I am cureious why do you say this: "As pharmacists, we have been asked to do so much more in the past 5-10 years than most have been asked in their lifetimes." Can you help explain? do you feel like in the last 5-10 years, you work harder than others in their lifetime?

I think he is stating from a retail perspective. I am only a tech but I know retail pharmacy landscape dramatically changed compared to 5-10 years ago. They keep cutting hours. But we still have to do the same work. So where does that extra time come from? Our paid 30 minute breaks that we never get to take. I don't even have time to drink water.

These are all very good sounding I think and much better than retail. Can you share what are some options for pharmacists to work in industry? Do you think there are a lot of opportunities?

Also I am cureious why do you say this: "As pharmacists, we have been asked to do so much more in the past 5-10 years than most have been asked in their lifetimes." Can you help explain? do you feel like in the last 5-10 years, you work harder than others in their lifetime?
mtm, immunizations, flu clinics, not to mention all the metrics (script count, # of patients enrolled in one trip refills, point of sale consults). the list can go on and on. it feels like you're being attacked from all angles. my district manager on me to make sure my store performs. taking crap from patients. dont get me wrong, i have no problem doing all this work. but not giving me enough time or resources to get my job done is unfair. from the minute i walk in until the minute i leave i am fully committed to my job. people say the good thing about retail is when you close the gate at night, you dont bring your work home. it all stays in the pharmacy. but when you're shutting the gate at 9 or 10pm, what difference does it make? your day is already gone

to answer your second question, im not sure if theres a lot of industry positions available or not. as pharm d, we can get into quite a few different positions. medical communications, regulatory affairs, quality assurance, etc.

Last edited:
yeah industry is a pretty damn easy job if you ask me. only annoying part is having to act fake while you're there.

Reactions: 1 users
yeah industry is a pretty damn easy job if you ask me. only annoying part is having to act fake while you're there.

Don't you do that at retail pharmacy anyways?
"My medication wasn't automatically filled for me. It is your job to do that. I don't know what medication I am on tho. Figure it out"
"I lost my medication. Why wouldn't insurance cover it for my mistake? Get them to cover it."
"Why haven't I got my refill request done yet? Everyone should drop everything and get my request done first. Never mind I knew about the fact I am out of refills a week before and didn't bother to call in advance."
"I want TEVA, not WATSON. I don't care that they are the same."

I mean do you genuinely care about these patients?

Reactions: 1 users

Seriously, I did an industry internship at a top 5 pharmacy company and this **** is rampant. Everyone has to put on this fake happy vibe otherwise you're labelled as a non team player. Sometimes when I talk to this people, I feel the fakeness seep through so much that it's cringe-w0rthy. Nothing in retail can compare.

Guys I appreciate the participation, but none of this is particularly insightful...

Guys I appreciate the participation, but none of this is particularly insightful...

What kind of jobs are you interested in doing in industry? maybe that is a good place to start...

You need 1. Skills that are transposable the industry specialty you're interested in and/or 2. Connections with people who are already in industry and can vouch for you.

Find what skills are necessary, and gain experience in those areas. Meet people who have industry contacts. I suggest you move to an area that has a large biotech/Big Pharma sector. I've worked with floaters who work retail per diem and industry full time. Little things like that will help you out.

Last edited:
Need advice and help, please. I graduated about 3 years ago. I want to switch into industry from retail. I did a rotation and internship at MedImmune in the Reg Affairs dept. Unfortunately, I have not kept in contact with the folks. I tried emailing, but no luck, as they may have transitioned to AZ emails. What is the best course of action? What are some entry level positions I can get into? Would applying to a fellowship be worthwhile (I don't want waste my time applying if I have zero chance..rather put my efforts elsewhere)? Should I look into a certificates or masters program? I enjoyed my time in the industry world and currently I have been deeply regretting my decision of not applying to a fellowship right after pharm school (i.e should have listened to the fellowship director and my preceptor..they wanted me to do a fellowship so badly). Am I out of luck? How do I even start making connections in industry?

Need advice and help, please. I graduated about 3 years ago. I want to switch into industry from retail. I did a rotation and internship at MedImmune in the Reg Affairs dept. Unfortunately, I have not kept in contact with the folks. I tried emailing, but no luck, as they may have transitioned to AZ emails. What is the best course of action? What are some entry level positions I can get into? Would applying to a fellowship be worthwhile (I don't want waste my time applying if I have zero chance..rather put my efforts elsewhere)? Should I look into a certificates or masters program? I enjoyed my time in the industry world and currently I have been deeply regretting my decision of not applying to a fellowship right after pharm school (i.e should have listened to the fellowship director and my preceptor..they wanted me to do a fellowship so badly). Am I out of luck? How do I even start making connections in industry?

Unfortunately...yea. I know some of my friends are going back to get their MBA in pharmaceutical management and marketing. They're doing that in order to break into industry. I don't see how else you are going to do it without fellowship (and Rutgers has total domination in this area---you'll be competing with top-notch Rutgers grads for these positions....most of them have research and publications...chances are slim here)....OR...maybe if your brother works for Sanofi or something...and even that is a stretch. I know some people that got into PBM by doing contract work for 2-3 years before the companies actually took them on. I'd say the hierarchy is retail<hospital dispensing<PBM<industry=academia=hospital specialty in terms of how hard it is to break into.

As a pharmacist working in retail for 2+ years, you will have a very hard time breaking into industry/pbms and even hospital. They see you as untrainable and they often have pools of very well qualified residency/fellowship trained PGYs to choose from....no need to turn to someone in retail for anything.

Your only options are:

1. Go back to school---> MBA in Pharmaceutical Management

2. Quit your current job and hopefully find a contract position with a PBM or small pharmaceutical doing drug info or prior auths

3. Have deep connections.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately...yea. I know some of my friends are going back to get their MBA in pharmaceutical management and marketing. They're doing that in order to break into industry. I don't see how else you are going to do it without fellowship (and Rutgers has total domination in this area---you'll be competing with top-notch Rutgers grads for these positions....most of them have research and publications...chances are slim here)....OR...maybe if your brother works for Sanofi or something...and even that is a stretch. I know some people that got into PBM by doing contract work for 2-3 years before the companies actually took them on. I'd say the hierarchy is retail<hospital dispensing<PBM<industry=academia=hospital specialty in terms of how hard it is to break into.

As a pharmacist working in retail for 2+ years, you will have a very hard time breaking into industry/pbms and even hospital. They see you as untrainable and they often have pools of very well qualified residency/fellowship trained PGYs to choose from....no need to turn to someone in retail for anything.

Your only options are:

1. Go back to school---> MBA in Pharmaceutical Management

2. Quit your current job and hopefully find a contract position with a PBM or small pharmaceutical doing drug info or prior auths

3. Have deep connections.

Thanks for the info!