Going into the military as a civilian PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malibu3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I'm about to enter into a school where tuition is 99,000 and after PT school I would love to travel the world. Has anyone gone military before? Do they do loan forgiveness programs if you give time to the military? My dream is to be stationed overseas in Japan on a base and work my loans off.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about joining the military or working for them as a civilian PT? I can't tell you much about the civilian side, but I know a bit about the military side, specifically the Army. I was in the Army for more than a decade, including a stint as a recruiter so I have some knowledge of the benefits. After I got out I also spent a lot of time at a military clinic as I prepared to apply to Army-Baylor. I would definitely talk to a recruiter though, as they will be able to give you the most up to date information. Some enlistment benefits change on literally a daily basis based on mission requirements and other factors so it's probably impossible for anyone outside of that realm to give you up to date info.

The military provides student loan repayment under certain circumstances, which is different than forgiveness, however I don't believe they are providing it for PT's at this time. I do believe that military service qualifies under the public service loan forgiveness program. Of course this requires 10 years of service and many of your loans will probably be paid off by then. The Army doesn't take a lot of PT's "off he street. They get most of their folks from the Army-Baylor program, which brings in around 20 new PTs a year. The Air Force and Navy also send 2-3 people each to the program. I believe those branches tend to assess more civilians onto active duty than the Army does. The Marines receive their medical care from the Navy. Like I said before, the Army uses Army-Baylor as its primary feeder. When I was observing at an Army clinic I think I only meant one PT who came from another program. If I remember correctly she was in the Army before heading to PT school, which probably gave her a bit of an advantage in the application process. The Army is the biggest branch and has a lot more PT's than the other branches. In addition to PT's who work in clinics the Army has started to assign PT's directly to "combat" units. I believe all Brigade Combat Teams (4000 people or so depending on the the of brigade) have their own PT assigned. Some units, such as the Rangers, even have PTs assigned at the battalion level (500-800 people). This means there is definitely a big need for PTs in the Army. I'm not how the AF and Navy utilize their PTs, but I've heard of PT's being assigned to carriers and other large vessels. The need is definitely there, but I think people that get into the military as PT's tend to stick around for a while so open position are rare. The military has been downsizing in recent years so this trend will most likely not change anytime soon. I've heard of civilian PT students doing clinical rotations on a base. If you're close to one I would check into that. If you aren't prior service you need to show that you have at least some understanding of the "system."

As far as getting stationed in Japan goes I wouldn't bet the farm on getting that assignment, especially right out of the gate. Assignments are based on "needs of the military." You might get some say in where you go, but I wouldn't go as far as to say you have a choice. Often times you might get a list of 2 or 3 assignments to choose from. If they gave everyone a choice I'm sure day stations in Hawaii would be overflowing, while places like Fort Riley, Kansas would be ghost towns (no offense to folks in central KS, but I'm originally from the area and therefore tend to use it as a punching bag). Honestly I think I only had one assignment that I really ever liked. All of the services have small contingents in Japan, but nothing too big. My brother did a tour in Okinawa and loved it. A word of caution though, you can also end up seeing parts of the world that aren't so picturesque. I deployed 3 times, including trips to Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm pretty sure I could have gone my entire life without seeing those places, especially when people are shooting at you. It doesn't matter how cool of a place you are stationed at, if the proverbial crap hits the fan you can end up in a less than ideal location really fast. That's just the nature of the job.

The Army has special medical recruiters, known as AMEDD recruiters. You'll want to talk to one of them, not a regular recruiter. As a former recruiter I can tell you firsthand that there are some unscrupulous recruiters out there that may push in a direction that is not in your bet interest. I'm not sure if the Navy and AF also have special medical recruiters or not. I would also advise you to also look at civilian positions within the military. The civilian staff at many clinics comprise of probably half of the total staff. They also have the opportunity to work overseas. At the clinic I observed at one of the civilians actually transferred to Japan. Of course he had been a military PT for 20 years or so before "retiring" and heading to the civilian side, but it does show that it is possible to land a cush assignment overseas as a civilian. You can find a lot of those jobs on usajobs.gov. The federal civilian job system can also be difficult to get into, but once you get into the system you are pretty much set.

I think that's enough ranting from me. The best advice I can give you is to talk to a recruiter. You can talk to crusty old Soldiers like me on forums like this or someone who "knows someone who knows a guy who joined the Army," but you're best off talking to recruiter who give you up to date info. Personally, if I was joining the Army for the first time I wouldn't base my entire decision to join on information I gathered from strangers on the internet. Talk to the SMEs (subject matter experts).

Finally, if after talking to a recruiter you want to talk to a current military PT let me know and I can reach out to some of my contacts. I might even be able to put you in touch with the PT I previously mentioned who entered the Army from a civilian PT school.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
The Navy also has medical recruiters. On the civilian side, look to USAjobs.gov.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what I know about the Air Force....currently, there are no loan forgiveness programs. This can change every year, but it's not a critical demand in the AF now....so unlikely to change anytime soon. The competition to get into the AF as a PT right now is fierce. They take their 2-3 graduates from the Baylor program and then they prefer to grab very experienced orthopedic PTs (often with an OCS or SCS). My recruiter also told me that generally, if you haven't been in the military before, they really try to assign you to a stateside base. If you do have military experience, that can open up some overseas options...but they just don't want to toss a newbie there right off the bat.

I'm really trying to get back in the AF after I graduate next year....but I'm being realistic and keeping all other options on the table as well. I recommend doing some military observation hours. There are big pros and cons to working in military clinic....it's a different style than outpatient ortho and might not be for everyone.

Here's what I know about the Air Force....currently, there are no loan forgiveness programs. This can change every year, but it's not a critical demand in the AF now....so unlikely to change anytime soon. The competition to get into the AF as a PT right now is fierce. They take their 2-3 graduates from the Baylor program and then they prefer to grab very experienced orthopedic PTs (often with an OCS or SCS). My recruiter also told me that generally, if you haven't been in the military before, they really try to assign you to a stateside base. If you do have military experience, that can open up some overseas options...but they just don't want to toss a newbie there right off the bat.

I'm really trying to get back in the AF after I graduate next year....but I'm being realistic and keeping all other options on the table as well. I recommend doing some military observation hours. There are big pros and cons to working in military clinic....it's a different style than outpatient ortho and might not be for everyone.

Hi! I was wondering if you knew anything about the Air Force having a physical therapy scholarship (if someone was going to a civilian PT school instead of through army Baylor) or any tips for something like that? Thanks!

Hi! I was wondering if you knew anything about the Air Force having a physical therapy scholarship (if someone was going to a civilian PT school instead of through army Baylor) or any tips for something like that? Thanks!
Currently, there's nothing out there. I'm going to school on the GI Bill which is about the best you can do (aside from Baylor). They just don't "need" PTs right now. They get plenty of applicants and people fighting over the few slots...so no need to offer incentives. I would highly encourage you to look at the Baylor program if that's an option for you and you really want to serve as a PT. It wasn't an option for me due to family stuff (and I had the GI Bill anyway).

I tell everyone who asks me...just know that the process to get in the Air Force after going to a civilian PT school is tough. It's my plan A, but I'm developing very strong plan Bs and Cs because I'm assuming I won't get in. Just don't count on it is what I'm saying.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently, there's nothing out there. I'm going to school on the GI Bill which is about the best you can do (aside from Baylor). They just don't "need" PTs right now. They get plenty of applicants and people fighting over the few slots...so no need to offer incentives. I would highly encourage you to look at the Baylor program if that's an option for you and you really want to serve as a PT. It wasn't an option for me due to family stuff (and I had the GI Bill anyway).

I tell everyone who asks me...just know that the process to get in the Air Force after going to a civilian PT school is tough. It's my plan A, but I'm developing very strong plan Bs and Cs because I'm assuming I won't get in. Just don't count on it is what I'm saying.

Thank you for the information! Just out of curiosity what are your plan B's/c's? Are you still shooting for the Air Force but taking a different route or do you plan to work elsewhere?

I'm just going to keep applying for the reserves (I haven't started). I'm so done with active duty. I'm also planning to add secondary designations, like medical administrations, etc., in case I get picked up for those instead and just add the PT designation afterwards.

I'm just going to keep applying for the reserves (I haven't started). I'm so done with active duty. I'm also planning to add secondary designations, like medical administrations, etc., in case I get picked up for those instead and just add the PT designation afterwards.

So you would be an officer in the reserves right? Is it just as competitive or how does it work?

Thank you for the information! Just out of curiosity what are your plan B's/c's? Are you still shooting for the Air Force but taking a different route or do you plan to work elsewhere?
I would absolutely consider coming in as healthcare admin to the Air Force, but I'm not sure i'm qualified for that. I will double check with my recruiter next time I talk to him. My plan Bs and Cs are way different. Work in women's health, work in peds for the school system, open up a private practice, work in the VA.

So you would be an officer in the reserves right? Is it just as competitive or how does it work?

For the Navy, it's like trying to join an elite country club when you don't have the pedigree. That's how competitive.

If you are looking at the Reserves side the Army is probably your easier route, as they have the Army Reserves and National Guard. PT slots are hard to come by and people that get into those slots tend to stay there for a long time. Your best bet may be to head in another position in the medical field and try to transfer into the PT position if/when it opens up. As someone who used to work full time at a Reserve unit I can tell you that world is a little nepotic, aka the "Good ol' boy" system. When deployment optempo was high and the services were starving for troops, there were ways to transfer from the Reserves side to active duty, but many those paths have closed up since the drawdown.

Hey Guys,

So I'm about to enter into a school where tuition is 99,000 and after PT school I would love to travel the world. Has anyone gone military before? Do they do loan forgiveness programs if you give time to the military? My dream is to be stationed overseas in Japan on a base and work my loans off.

As you have experienced PT school is expensive these days. As most have posted loan repayment programs occur when there is a great demand for any military profession. At present no one offers this.

As a military PT on active duty for 19 years, it's about serving your country. You are a military officer first, and you profession is PT. You will certainly see patients but there are a host of additional duties as well that are a norm for any military officer and career.

There are frequent moves, TDYs, and deployments. One may experience an unaccompanied assognment, no family. Assignments are based on the needs of the service. Junior officers will have a dream sheet of sorts notifing your assignment desires, but that's it. In the Air Force when you receive your next assignment notification you have 7 days to accept, if you decline your assignment you will be separated from the service or retired. The needs of the service come first.

Military service is more demanding that one can imagine. Attitude and dedication is everything. One doesn't join for loan repayment, that's a pipe dream. Applicants are a dime a dozen and only the very best are accepted for a commission.

It's a very tough 20 + year career, families pay a price to follow you around. It's also a very rewarding career.

Lastly, there are 4 branches of service that have PTs: Army ( they use their Army Baylor PT program as the entry method into the Army ), Navy, Air Force, and Public Health Service. If you truly want a rewarding military career, seek an military officer medical recruiter.

I wish you well in your endeavour as a PT.