Going out in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted393595

In the same vein as the undergrad thread, how easy is it to go out and party in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Got time to date *outside the med school bubble* ?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's doable. You CAN have a life and be a ed student...but there are some things that you'll have to give up as well.

And speaking of going out, I can rely on at least two couples in every one of my classes will end up getting married.

In the same vein as the undergrad thread, how easy is it to go out and party in med school?

Going off what I know from the medical school at my undergrad - yes it's very easy. Essentially, the entire class has exams in the same week. Everyone is studying together, then everyone takes exams together, then everyone gets hammered together. Actually, from what I've seen, the "being hammered" part is the default unless there are exams within the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
It's doable. You CAN have a life and be a ed student...but there are some things that you'll have to give up as well.

And speaking of going out, I can rely on at least two couples in every one of my classes will end up getting married.
Out of curiosity, have you or any of your colleagues at your school ever been invited to a students wedding????

It's extremely easy. Can get 1-4 nights per week all 4 years consistently. Low's being certain 3rd year rotations, ACEs, and STEPs.

Do most people show up to Medical School single, or in relationships?

I'm sure it's school dependent, but I remember during my summer research stint at Dartmouth, it seemed like everyone was married...WITH KIDS haha

Very easy. There will be more difficult times than others, and M3 in general is relatively difficult, but if you make it a point to socialize you will be able to. Don't buy into the martyrdom of medical education; it's tough, and yes, you will be busy, but you'll have time to do other things outside of school if you manage your time well once you get adjusted.

Do most people show up to Medical School single, or in relationships?

I'm sure it's school dependent, but I remember during my summer research stint at Dartmouth, it seemed like everyone was married...WITH KIDS haha

That might be because Dartmouth has one of the highest median ages of any medical school ;)

and you can also count on many more couples hooking up, breaking up, and being VERY awkward around each other for the rest of the four years.

Came into medical school dating a senior in college. We made it last for a year before she got into another school and we decided to break up due to distance and time spent apart. Skyping every night wasn't really feasible due to time difference of about 3 hours. Add in that we could only skype for maybe 30 minutes to an hour, it wasn't enough. S**t sucks and I wish I could have done it a little differently, but you gotta move on.

After a semester, I found another girl and we have been dating for almost 2 years. Started 4th year and we are entering into the couple's match. Very doable and dating within med school is 10x easier than dating outside of it, unless you have a long-time relationship before going in (where the partner already loves you and is willing to make the sacrifices then.) Dating a SO outside from the beginning is harder but it can (and has) work(ed).

The amount of free time you have depends on what point of the curriculum you are at. FSU is a little different at this point in the medical school game since we spend the summer doing all of anatomy and the first 1/3 of clinical skills. During this time, since the curriculum is so compressed, I haven't been able to go out much, but I'm guessing that once the fall starts, and everyone starts adjusting, it will be much, much better, and more comparable to what other MS1's have been talking about.
Now, as for how many go in with relationships, many. I'm the minority as a single male. A lot of my classmates are either in long-term relationships, engaged, married, or have kids