going over word limit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABSOLUTsher07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How bad is it if you go over the word limits for the supplemental essays? For example, if the suggested limit is 250 words, would the adcom hate me if mine was 290 words?

Members don't see this ad.

ABSOLUTsher07 said:
How bad is it if you go over the word limits for the supplemental essays? For example, if the suggested limit is 250 words, would the adcom hate me if mine was 290 words?
Good Lord, I'm amazed at how many posts there are on this issue!

If the directions say 250 words, limit it to 250 words. Those kinds of instructions are crystal clear. If you choose not to follow them, it tells the adcom that either 1) you don't understand clear instructions or 2) you think they don't apply to you.

It can be tough to limit yourself, but it was on the personal statement in your primary too.

notdeadyet said:
Good Lord, I'm amazed at how many posts there are on this issue!

If the directions say 250 words, limit it to 250 words. Those kinds of instructions are crystal clear. If you choose not to follow them, it tells the adcom that either 1) you don't understand clear instructions or 2) you think they don't apply to you.

It can be tough to limit yourself, but it was on the personal statement in your primary too.

Right. And I think they are looking for us to get our point across as concisely as possible without deviating from the task.