going through the grind again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychedoc2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have received alot of useful info from this site. I have decided to reapply because I'm getting married to someone out-of-state. I do have schizoaffective disorder and do think that it is wise not to go into lengthy details about one's illness. I am going to downplay my illness. Thank God, I've been through the process once to know what I'm getting into. I think people even other psychiatrists are scared of the unknown. That is, most people don't know what I can do with this illness because they don't know what's feasible and what is not. I think the best advice I have read is that you must first show your competence then may be, that is, may be disclose if necessary. I think it is unfair that people have stereotypes and prejudices against others with disabilities,especially in the medical field. But, our first agenda is to get into a program. I got into a program which was my last choice. I realized from my mistakes that residency directors don't give a hoot about whether or not you have moved mountains and developed new insight because of one's illness. They just want the best applicant to do the work. That's the bottom line- applicant who can do the work. I have read other messages here on this forum asking whether or not to disclose their illness. I would say don't do it if you don't have to do so. It isn't worth it to go down this path of explaining and reexplaining how you made it through medical school and how it was such a monumental task, etc. They don't care! This is a job application and interview, not an interview on Oprah about how one defies all odds. So, this is my advice to this year's applicants:It all comes down to your competency and work ethic.

You can pm if you like!

Best wishes,
psychedoc2b

Members don't see this ad.

Um ...ya! Who would want an impaired doc in charge or their care? Survival of the fittest works, and is not concerned with fairness. :rolleyes:

psisci said:
Um ...ya! Who would want an impaired doc in charge or their care? Survival of the fittest works, and is not concerned with fairness. :rolleyes:

I understand where you are coming from. However, people with disabilities have alot to offer their patients, especially if they have similar disabilities. You should not categorize people with disabilties in one basket. I know it's hard for us to understand the life experiences of a doctor who is a paraplegic but that same doctor can offer an insight to others about the difficulties in having such a disability, especially to patients who are similarly disabled. I think people with disabilities have alot to offer. Patients are not all the same. Sometimes they prefer doctors who have more insight into their illnesses or disabilties than someone like you can offer. I know of doctors who are dwarves who help other patients who are dwarves and deaf doctors who cater to other deaf patients. I am planning on going into psychiatry because I believe my insight and experiences can help others with similar illnesses to mine. You should not let your ignorance blind your perspective about people with disabilities. :)

psychedoc2b

Members don't see this ad :)
psisci said:

How fortunate, then, that you have no impairments...as long as one doesn't consider "empathy-challenged" an impairment.

As long as this dude is together enough to relate to his patients appropriately and has intact clinical decision making skills (and IMHO, has someone paying attention closely so that any pending decompensation can be caught early), I see no reason why they shouldn't at least try.

psisci said:

psisci,

I see you're a psychologist. Do you have something against psychiatrists? You sound peed off in your other posts to wannabe psychiatrists. I am happy that you stuck it out in psychology rather than psychiatry. I would not want you as my doctor. AND, I feel sorry for your patients with disabilities. If you have the perspective you have, you probably tell your patients with disabilities such as mine to go on SSDI. I hope your patients/clients come to their senses and go to a real doctor. :) But, I do understand that some psychologists are sensitive and caring. BUT, I would not put you in this category.

You are FUBAR ,
psychedoc2b

Yes, I am sure you know all about me and how I care for people.....sigh. I apologize for insulting you, and I do feel that people with disabilities can and often are competent practitioners.
The reason I posted the way I did is partly to get some life in this forum as a return favor for what your MOD anasazi23 has done for the psychology forum. I have nothing against psychiatrists, and work with them every day. I just think this forum is rather uptight and far too PC. :)