Going to an Interview without a suit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KatyPerry

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i thought if i get an interview do you think that it will look bad if i dont wear a suit. I hate suits and i hate wearing ties constricting my neck. But i do have very nice clothes to wear instead. My idea is just to wear a prada button up and dress pants with gucci shoes. Its obvious that the quality of the material is top notch but its not a suit. Dont flame me for having expensive stuff just please answer my question this is serious. I am thinking i might have to buy a suit over the thanksgivings break if you guys think it is mandatory. :D if i had to buy a suit i would buy a skinny suit, would that be okay

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Katy Perry, I personally like this outfit better

2010_mtv_movie_awards_katy_perry_california_gurls.jpg

IDK know if this real or not... but I'll answer anyway:

Wearing what you stated won't have any baring on whether you get into the school or not... but you will stand out like a sore thumb.

IDK know if this real or not... but I'll answer anyway:

Wearing what you stated won't have any baring on whether you get into the school or not... but you will stand out like a sore thumb.

why should it matter if i stand out like a sore thumb while getting the tour of the campus. THe interview is just me with the people doing the interview? Im not seeing the real problem with what you are saying. Can you explain more. Im not trying to troll nor am i kidding. HOLY SMOKE AHHHAHAHAHAHA i just reread my thread title and said going to an interview without a SLUT and i'm like lol wtf did i write

Last edited:
go for it. dont forget to let us know how it goes !!

i only once saw a person not in a suit during interview. he was in jeans and a casual dress shirt. but it was b/c his luggage was lost during flight

Reactions: 1 user
it's like taking a ****, finding out there's no toliet paper and then hoping for the best. maybe it works out for you, but chances are that you'll be walking around with **** on your ass.

So i thought if i get an interview do you think that it will look bad if i dont wear a suit. I hate suits and i hate wearing ties constricting my neck. But i do have very nice clothes to wear instead. My idea is just to wear a prada button up and dress pants with gucci shoes. Its obvious that the quality of the material is top notch but its not a suit. Dont flame me for having expensive stuff just please answer my question this is serious. I am thinking i might have to buy a suit over the thanksgivings break if you guys think it is mandatory. :D if i had to buy a suit i would buy a skinny suit, would that be okay

If you are Japanese, you should feel free to go to an interview in a kimono, if you are from India, feel free to wear a saree and if you're from some other culture you should feel free to wear formal clothes from your culture. Others may not agree with me but personally I think a suit is a European paradigm thrust upon everyone by the Judeo-Christian culture. That's plain wrong but society won't recognize it as such. Have you ever attended a traditional wedding in a traditional setting in Bhutan? Or Zambia? Or Bangladesh? People don't wear suits - they wear their traditional formal clothes. We talk about multiculturalism but insist on EVERYBODY wearing European clothes. That doesn't seem right to me. But that's me.

Bhutan's King at a formal occasion. Not in a European suit. http://www.bhutanandpartners.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Bhutan-King.jpg

Gandhi at a formal occasion. Not in a European suit.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Qxq9iTGa0...yJUKUI/s400/Mountbattens_with_Gandhi_1947.jpg

India's leader with the Queen at a formal occasion. Not in a European suit.
http://www.mediastorehouse.com/image/the_queen_with_indira_gandhi_4869425.jpg

South Africa's Nelson Mendala at a formal occasion. Not in a suit.
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/07/18/mandelab460.jpg

If schools REALLY value multiculturalism, they should not insist on formal clothes worn by White cultures. That's my view. Obviously others will disagree.

Last edited:
: ) interesting test, let us know the result

Is the OP going to wear his name brand shirts on the wards in a few years, in place of a constricting and unfashionable short white coat? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
In all seriousness, it would be best for you to wear a suit. To me it's like saying can I just not take the MCAT - it's just something you gotta do. I'm saying this in total agreement with the others and yourself about suits. I hate them. I have a hard time wearing a shirt and shoes myself cause I'm normally in sandals and board shorts, but there are some moments where conforming will do you more good than not. If there are any others at the interview they will be in suits. I had interviews with 50 other people and almost the color of the suits matched. You will stick out - A LOT - and to most of the interviewers it will not be a good sticking out. They are ok with you having your own personality, but they also want to see that you'll do what it takes to fit what they're looking for.

If you are Japanese, you should feel free to go to an interview in a kimono, if you are from India, feel free to wear a saree and if you're from some other culture you should feel free to wear formal clothes from your culture. Others may not agree with me but personally I think a suit is a European paradigm thrust upon everyone by the Judeo-Christian culture. That's plain wrong but society won't recognize it as such. Have you ever attended a traditional wedding in a traditional setting in Bhutan? Or Zambia? Or Bangladesh? People don't wear suits - they wear their traditional formal clothes. We talk about multiculturalism but insist on EVERYBODY wearing European clothes. That doesn't seem right to me. But that's me.

Bhutan's King at a formal occasion. Not in a European suit. http://www.bhutanandpartners.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Bhutan-King.jpg

Gandhi at a formal occasion. Not in a European suit.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Qxq9iTGa0...yJUKUI/s400/Mountbattens_with_Gandhi_1947.jpg

India's leader with the Queen at a formal occasion. Not in a European suit.
http://www.mediastorehouse.com/image/the_queen_with_indira_gandhi_4869425.jpg

South Africa's Nelson Mendala at a formal occasion. Not in a suit.
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/07/18/mandelab460.jpg

If schools REALLY value multiculturalism, they should not insist on formal clothes worn by White cultures. That's my view. Obviously others will disagree.
Are you serious? Yes, famous leaders can wear whatever they want but you are an applicant that every medical school can do just fine without, and you have the choice to play by their rules or not. Choose at your own risk.

Are you serious? Yes, famous leaders can wear whatever they want but you are an applicant that every medical school can do just fine without, and you have the choice to play by their rules or not. Choose at your own risk.

I agree. Go in a suit. All I am saying is that schools talk about multiculturalism but insist on wearing European wear, which does not seem right to me. And it's not just leaders - everyday people in India wear sarees.

I agree. Go in a suit. All I am saying is that schools talk about multiculturalism but insist on wearing European wear, which does not seem right to me. And it's not just leaders - everyday people in India wear sarees.
Multiculturalism for the sake of catering to different cultures of patients! When you're practicing medicine in an area predominantly American (cough all of America) you have to cater to the majority culture. And I wasn't implying that only foreign leaders wear foreign garments, but that only foreign leaders can get away with wearing those garments in setting where they are not native.

When you're practicing medicine in an area predominantly American (cough all of America) you have to cater to the majority culture.

I don't want to argue any more but technically, this land isn't called America. The correct name of this land is Turtle Island. The people you call American have their home in Europe.

Turtle Island, oh Turtle Island, God shed his grace on thee....

As anti-religious as I am, I would be wary of attribution religion to being the impetus for creating standard business wear in the US. It's much more simply from our British ancestry - where once the suit was of warm wool and buttons made of seashells - and they're expansive influence on the world through empire.

Okay, but what if I'm from Scandinavia and I want to go to my interview in the nude?

The correct name of this land is Turtle Island.

I wasn't aware that the Iroquois had exclusive naming rights. You should probably let the Apache, Navajo, Cherokee, etc. know that all their names are wrong...

I wasn't aware that the Iroquois had exclusive naming rights. You should probably let the Apache, Navajo, Cherokee, etc. know that all their names are wrong...
Seriously.... Oh and OP, just buy a Gucci bath robe and wear it. Obviously, you have money AND style, you're going to be an awesome doctor!

Don't trust Wikipedia or other internet sources for your information. Get them firsthand from real Indians like I did.

I don't think there is any room for a debate here. I can't imagine how someone could pull off not wearing a suit at a med school interview. It is what it is; whether you see it as rigid conformity or not, the standard exists and there is no way around it.

Going to an Interview without a suit

If you really were Katy Perry, I don't think any of us would mind if you went in your "birthday suit"...probably get an acceptance on the spot.

If you are uncomfortable wearing a suit and hate it, then perhaps you could show up to an interview with the prada outfit with gucci shoes. As long as you look nice, I don't think you will stick out like a sore thumb. :cool:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will also need a nice haircut in addition to a traditional business suit.

So *that's* why there are no mullets in med school!

Yes, sadly, it is true. I had not cut my hair for two years prior to transforming my appearance for the med school interview season. I had cultivated the wild surfer boy/snowboarder look before deciding to apply to med school. And, now, when I look in the mirror in the morning, I see someone who looks like a doctor. But, after awhile, you get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.