going to school internationally, then wanting to practice in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

that70sShow

Jul 5, 2007
Reaction score
so I'm a US citizen browsing through some international medical schools to apply to- I heard there is additional paperwork, headaches and hoops to jump through to practice in the US if you go to an international medical school... can someone send me a link of what those additional steps are? Thinking Europe, Australia, or Caribbean in addition to Canada, which I know is an easy transition to the US (but difficult to get into)..

2) does this include the big 4 Caribbean medical schools?

3) I think I have a list of internationally accredited schools eligible for Federal Student loans - but if someone else can send me a link that would be great...

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The biggest hurdle I’ve heard is coming back and matching into residency. Traditionally it’s harder to do that as an international student, but it can be done. There’s other hurdles like ECFMG paperwork and setting up clinical roatations in the US.

And you’re not getting into Canadian med schools, so forget about that lol...

If you haven’t already, try getting into US schools, including DO. If not successful, then look to SGU or Ross in the Caribbean. It is a risky route, and any missteps like failing boards or failing classes can very much reduce your chances at getting a residency. And, these schools have higher attrition rates. For Ross I’ve heard as high as 30-40%. Both of these schools are approved for US loans and have the best track record.

Reactions: 1 user
The biggest hurdle I’ve heard is coming back and matching into residency. Traditionally it’s harder to do that as an international student, but it can be done. There’s other hurdles like ECFMG paperwork and setting up clinical roatations in the US.

And you’re not getting into Canadian med schools, so forget about that lol...

If you haven’t already, try getting into US schools, including DO. If not successful, then look to SGU or Ross in the Caribbean. It is a risky route, and any missteps like failing boards or failing classes can very much reduce your chances at getting a residency. And, these schools have higher attrition rates. For Ross I’ve heard as high as 30-40%. Both of these schools are approved for US loans and have the best track record.
what if I'm looking into the less competitive residencies, not specializing, I heard some institutions have more spots than people some years...would it work out if I picked a less competitive field of medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
what if I'm looking into the less competitive residencies, not specializing, I heard some institutions have more spots than people some years...would it work out if I picked a less competitive field of medicine?
Yeah it would help. If you're aiming for family med, internal, peds, psych, those fields are more welcoming to IMGs. General Surgery, Anesthesia, Emergency med is also attainable but harder. Ortho, Derm are pretty much out of the picture unless your dad is the Program Director.

Yeah right now there are more residency spots than US graduates. For years now, people on this forum have been saying that IMGs are going to be squeezed out. First they said it was going to be in 2015, then it was 2018 (which btw, is the best year for IMGs in 25 years). Now they are saying 2020 because of the DO/MD residency merger. Don't let these people trip you up. No one knows what is going to happen, its all speculation.

Match rates listed from the National Resident Matching Program in 2017
MD: 94.3%
DO: 81.7%
U.S. IMGs: 54.8%
non-U.S citizen IMGs: 52.4%

For medical school you will be taking out significant loans sometimes upwards of 150-200K, and looking at the numbers its like your betting 200k dollars (not to mention interest) for a 50/50 chance of becoming a doctor. It is highly advised to avoid international medical schools at all cost.

Have you already applied MD/DO? Are you a reaplicant? Why are you looking into international medical schools?

Match rates listed from the National Resident Matching Program in 2017
MD: 94.3%
DO: 81.7%
U.S. IMGs: 54.8%
non-U.S citizen IMGs: 52.4%

For medical school you will be taking out significant loans sometimes upwards of 150-200K, and looking at the numbers its like your betting 200k dollars (not to mention interest) for a 50/50 chance of becoming a doctor. It is highly advised to avoid international medical schools at all cost.

Have you already applied MD/DO? Are you a reaplicant? Why are you looking into international medical schools?
Wow...crap...yes I'm a reapplicant..currently thinking about some of the big 4 Caribbean schools or the Atlantic Bridge program..

curious - why is this the case? is it because of differences in step scores, or..? Do some international medical schools do better than others..? if so, which ones? thanks

Last edited:
so I'm a US citizen browsing through some international medical schools to apply to- I heard there is additional paperwork, headaches and hoops to jump through to practice in the US if you go to an international medical school... can someone send me a link of what those additional steps are? Thinking Europe, Australia, or Caribbean in addition to Canada, which I know is an easy transition to the US (but difficult to get into)..

3) I think I have a list of internationally accredited schools eligible for Federal Student loans - but if someone else can send me a link that would be great...

thanks
If you want to practice Medicine in the US, go to a US medical school. That sound you hear off in the background is the lip smacking of the Carib schools thinking about the prospect of yet another mark.

I personally do not know the reason why. I found this from www.kevinMD.com which seems like a good summary:

The truth about Caribbean medical schools

some of the add coms here might be able to provide better insight @Goro , @gonnif

If you want to practice Medicine in the US, go to a US medical school. That sound you hear off in the background is the lip smacking of the Carib schools thinking about the prospect of yet another mark.

:wow: ok I get it, I understand - thanks a lot everyone!

There is a lot of stigma against those from Caribbean schools because of the perceived poorer quality of candidates and poor quality education. While no one advises it, people have done it and have been successful. It just shouldn't be your first choice.

thanks

There are literally so many threads about this topic dude. No one will spoon feed you this information because your are asking very big broad questions that are hard to succinctly answer with hundreds of posts between them analyzing these pathways. Do some searches on Ireland, Australia, and Carib schools. People have been successful going to the U.S. coming from all 3 of these pathways. All three countries have numerous schools and pros and cons to weigh though between cost of attendance, attrition, 3rd year clerkships, difficulty in getting accepted etc.

Start your search here

Non-Caribbean International Medical School Options

Note that it is a little outdated but overall good summary and starting point

Last edited:
thanks everyone, will def look further into -I think I got what I needed now, looking into some of the European schools ...

thanks a ton :)!