Going to US Med School after US Undergrad

JGreeny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming I gain entry into one of the 7 universities which offer full financial aid for international students with no priority to US Grads ( Harvard , Yale , MIT , Princeton , Amherst , Dartmouth and CalTech ) or one of the many that takes into account an international student's ability to pay e.g Stanford ( Either way it's going to be tough but let's assume I do it )

If i took all the pre-medical requisites in that US Undergrad degree and did well in the MCAT , could I apply to US Med School and be on a level playing field with US Citizens applying from the same school? I'm asking this because I know that it's nearly impossible for people who have say a UK degree to get into US med school. I've heard some things like applying for US Permanent Residency in the 3rd year , but surely that could easily be rejected?

Thanks , I really want to practice neurosurgery or some other competitive speciality in the US , but know this is almost impossible if I apply as an International Medical Graduate.

P.S - Would I be able to get financial aid for med school? Because I live in a very ghetto place haha

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming I gain entry into one of the 7 universities which offer full financial aid for international students with no priority to US Grads ( Harvard , Yale , MIT , Princeton , Amherst , Dartmouth and CalTech ) or one of the many that takes into account an international student's ability to pay e.g Stanford ( Either way it's going to be tough but let's assume I do it )

If i took all the pre-medical requisites in that US Undergrad degree and did well in the MCAT , could I apply to US Med School and be on a level playing field with US Citizens applying from the same school? I'm asking this because I know that it's nearly impossible for people who have say a UK degree to get into US med school. I've heard some things like applying for US Permanent Residency in the 3rd year , but surely that could easily be rejected?

Thanks , I really want to practice neurosurgery or some other competitive speciality in the US , but know this is almost impossible if I apply as an International Medical Graduate.

P.S - Would I be able to get financial aid for med school? Because I live in a very ghetto place haha

Thanks.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Focus on getting into those universities and doing well in prereqs+MCAT. That will help you the most. And if you are admitted to med school, don't worry, you can easily find a loan out there. Note that A LOT of people take loans for med school because its pretty darn expensive. But yeah, don't jump the gun, focus on what need focus.

just going to chime in and say don't bank on getting into these universities. Each are extremely competitive. I doubt you are due to your wording, but wanted to say that just in case. But to help, here's an aamc link you might want to see - https://www.aamc.org/students/aspiring/303912/applyasaninternationalapplicant.html It says specifically, "The short answer is yes, but it's not easy. Some medical schools in the United States accept and matriculate a small number of international applicants to their programs." Anyways, good luck!