Quantcast

Gold Standard MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docintheory

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi Everyone,

I am currently rooting through all these MCAT books on Amazon and have come across a book called "The Gold Standard MCAT" by Brett Ferdinand. Along with the book are these separate subject cd-rom computer lectures like Organic Chem, Gen Chem, etc. selling at a price of $99.95. The prices sound pretty ridiculous for just each section... I am just wondering has anyone used these books or CD-Roms? and how well are they? and are they worth it? I've been using a mix of old 2003 Princeton Review and Exam Krackers... are there any other books people can recommend? I am trying to stress more practice questions than knowledge, cause I think I spent too much time studying material. Thanks for any help at all! Good luck to all :)

swifteagle43

Lover- not a fighter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

This is something funny...the guy who sells the tapes auctions the stuff off on ebay. You can pick up ALL the videos from his website + All his books(silver bullet, gold standard) and all the old MCATs on his website for as low as 250 on ebay auctions. I payed 260. WELL worth it! Very detailed! This guy knows what he is doing.

I LOVED the CDs. They were awsome. He does this professor style teaching. Its like having a kaplan course you can rewind.

hacke3man

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have my doubts about this Cd roms.....

MCAT Biology - CD1 - Introduction 3:32 min Free
MCAT Biology - CD1 - The Eukaryotic Cell 0:56 min Free
MCAT Biology - CD1 - Plasma Membrane 14:19 min $12.00
MCAT Biology - CD1 - The Cell's Interior 10:25 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD1 - DNA 5:42 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD1 - The Cell Cycle 6:46 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD1 - Protein Synthesis 10:42 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - Viruses 2:55 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - Prokaryotes vs. Eukaryotes 3:24 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - Bioenergetics 15:31 min $12.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - The Neuron 8:27 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - The Nervous System 5:55 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - The Endocrine System I 17:40 min $18.00
MCAT Biology - CD2 - The Endocrine System II 3:57 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD3 - The Menstrual Cycle 13:16 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD3 - The Circulatory System 13:11 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD3 - Blood Composition 6:13 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD3 - Lymphatic and Immune Systems 10:58 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD3 - The Digestive System I 6:32 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD3 - The Digestive System II 8:27 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - The Excretory System I 3:30 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - The Excretory System II 6:10 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - Gametogenesis (Meiosis) 11:30 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - Genetics I 5:17 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - Genetics II 2:59 min $3.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - Genetics III 10:26 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - Genetics IV 10:19 min $8.00
MCAT Biology - CD4 - Genetics V 8:18 min

I think for this topics need to add more time, don't you think??? :confused: :scared:

swifteagle43

Lover- not a fighter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I concur that they need more topics. But you should see these CDs....they cover those topics very well. I own the CDs and all the matrial. It came with the books I ordered through e-bay. WELL worth it for $250 as a whole package.

swifteagle43

Lover- not a fighter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Take it from someone who actually OWNS it instead of talking outa someone who is talking outa their backside :) It is a GOOD review course! Don't buy it on Amazon.com, look on ebay. It is a VERY popular book at cornell.

hacke3man

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just see the free video and you will see....It is imposible to explain a topic in just 6 min or 10min.... :confused: :mad: So don't be fool man....Buy somethinG popular and not that piace of ****tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!! :oops:

swifteagle43

Lover- not a fighter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dude it is not meant to be an all encompassing video series. The CDs are not what you paying for alone. It is a combo of things and they all intertwine. The lectures come together with the book which goes along with the tests. It is a VERY sophisticated learning system.

Seriously ask anyone who has either taken the gold standard course or owns a copy of the book/videos and they will sing its praises.

thatuvicguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

The Gold Standard is pretty popular with Canadian premeds. I have never seen or even heard of the CD-roms so can't comment on those but I did use the book when preparing for writing the MCAT this past August. It's quite good although I have to admit that I found the organization of Kaplan's comprehensive review a bit more to my liking. These two materials are almost identical, although sometimes crosschecking allowed me to learn a tidbit that was in 1 book but not the other.

If you aren't willing to pay out your @rse for a course but benefit from mixed media learning, the CDs may be a good investment. Even if they don't cover *all* the details for each section, they may help you internalize a lot of the key concepts and this will serve you well on the MCAT.

Cheers,
thatuvicguy