gold standard pharm audio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2cr8tive

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what does everyone think about pharm GS audios? im writing my exam end of july and im a bit weak in pharm ... my method has been to watch kaplan pharm videos and mark FA from those and also some of the pharm cards but i heard these audios are good help. wut do u guys think? too time consuming? is that amount of info presented good?

Members don't see this ad.

I found the GS cd's (our school has a set) to be almost intolerable. It's not a good way to learn information, but if you just have gobs of time on your hand it might be a good way to test yourself on it. The set is pretty thorough, but I found that even if I thought I was learning something it was gone from my head just an hour later. Not a good way to memorize things that need memorizing... I'd stick to a resource that clumps pharm together by mechanism (like FA or any of the numerous pharm books out there) for learning supplemented with flash cards to test yourself. And UW, of course.

I wouldn't recommend GS for pharm. Or for anything really, unless you are genuinely interested and have a LOT of time. I remember listening to one during the course of my school year where they talked at length about all the oldschool neuroleptics and benzos, which was fairly interesting, but ultimately useless. Who uses thioridazine or bromazepam these days? Some of the micro lectures, albeit detailed, were fairly useful... I liked the ones about the various pneumonias. Some of the behavioral sciences / statistics lectures were actually useful, and the ones about schizophrenia + personality disorders were high yield. Plus, I love the way that the dude enunciated every syllable ... "This is ... dys-dia-docho-ki-ne-sia. What is... dysdiadochokinesia?" Forget about the other subjects, as the lectures are way too detailed. Overall, I think these lectures would be great for someone who was going to medical school in the 1970's.

ok guys thanks so ill just stick to what ive been doing and go over em again and again.

i started listening to these my first year thinking that they would help me with step 1.

quite frankly, all but maybe 1 or 2 of the CD's (drug side effects, pharm survey) were not very high yield.

granted they go through arguably most of your basic science curriculum, i still think you would get more bang for your buck listening to a copy of Dr. Goljian.