Goljan Audio-What do you guys think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deecee2DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im an M2 and have a long car trip to a conference. I was wondering if Goljan audio is worth my time. Anyone who did well on Step 1 utilize or recommend these?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I liked listening to it when I was on the treadmill or long drives like you mentioned. The PDF that comes with it is pretty nice because you can see the pictures he refers to. If there is a way you can glance at the pictures he's referring to after driving i think that might be the best option for you. You'll learn a lot while passively listening and driving but seeing the pictures he's referring to will help a lot.

It might be better for passive learning after you've completed all the systems. He ties a lot of concepts together and if you only know cardio But if you've covered the main systems (Cardio, Pulmonary, Renal) you can get through the first couple chapters.

Reactions: 1 users
I listened to the first four audio lectures and I found them helpful. Granted, I'm only an MS1 so he definitely covered way more than i needed to know for my exams in the first block but in your case as an MS2, assuming your curriculum is systems based then you should already have the necessary foundation in physiology to benefit from the lectures. Even if you've never covered a certain system, he does a great job of giving you some recap and context before introducing a new concept. Overall, I found them helpful because he really integrates a ton of concepts quite well and reinforces the material with many examples (eventhough the examples were beyond my purview at this point).

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven’t listened to all of it. Have heard from people who did that some of the abx recs are out of date. seems pretty legit overall. But I’m such a visual learner I never gave it enough love.

Reactions: 1 user
Goljan's pretty lit, IMO. I listened to him driving to and fro campus and I found myself thinking of what he was saying quite a bit during dedicated and the actual exams.

He's pretty conceptual and that works well with the way I think. Some stuff is out of date, some stuff is wrong...but when he says "this is how they ask it", he's usually right. Even if it's not a first order question, they're generally giving the exact same presentation he uses in his lectures.

Yes, listening to him on drives and walks was a goldmine for board studying before and during dedicated board prep. Highly recommend

239, studied fourth to half time for 6wk dedicated. I used goljan, pathoma (+peppers), sketchy (+peppers), dirtyUSMLE and uworld. I believe that I scored as well as I did for the effort that I put in because I only used high yield material.

I originally wanted to become a teacher, and at the time, they were telling us that the auditory/visual/tactile classifications were unsupported (eg Learning Styles Debunked: There is No Evidence Supporting Auditory and Visual Learning, Psychologists Say).

My thoughts are that if you think you're a, "visual," learner, you may be fulfilling a self-imposed prophecy. Few people come in capable of watching lectures at 2x-4x. We get better. I suggest getting better at listening to lectures because then you can do it while you walk your dog, do chores, walk around the supermarket, etc. It makes idle time much more productive. Repetition is the mother of all learning and it doesn't really matter how you do it. It's just that audio learning is especially complementary to tasks like cooking where you can't use your hands for anki.

If you don't want to use goljan, you can convert B&B or pathoma into audio, and reinforce after you watch.

Reactions: 3 users
I love Goljan. I plan to listen to him throughout the day during M2. I agree with everything that's been said so far. He's great at integration and he's fun to listen to. Extremely funny imo.

Pappi is awesome. If you have a long drive its not like you have many other options for productive studying during the drive.

Definitely not a super strong study tool using the audio tapes alone, but a supplement that you might as well use from time to time. No need to stress about getting through 100% of it, but if you do then good for you. Its definitely nice to start em around this time of the year though since youve gotten through a few body systems now.

I listened to it every chance I had. It helped me for boards and continues to help me on rotations. Also, it is very amusing and almost soothing. He now lives in me forever.

Goljan is where it's at. Great for getting a big picture view of how things tie together. His style isn't for everyone, but I have found his lectures to be extremely helpful with OMS 2 coursework.

Goljan is where it's at. Great for getting a big picture view of how things tie together. His style isn't for everyone, but I have found his lectures to be extremely helpful with OMS 2 coursework.
What is OMS coursework?

Unless you’re gonna be one of those quacks who only practices omm then you’re in medical school, not osteopathic medical school.
Correct take. End all nomenclature specifically pointing out osteopathy for no damn reason.

Reactions: 2 users
Great for listening to while driving and doing housework. I didn’t listen on short commutes because I didn’t want to break it up and lose my train of thought while listening, but any care ride over a half hour I had him on. It’s even better if you have someone driving with you and you discuss anything that didn’t quite click, it helps solidify the material. Also didn’t listen to him while exercising since that’s supposed to be a school-free zone.