1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Goljan's new book

Discussion in 'Step I' started by giznut12, Apr 21, 2004.

1. giznut12

giznut12 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is anyone else planning on using Goljan's Rapid Review Pathology? I heard that is supposed to be the best. Also, does anyone know if his integrations of other subjects (biochem, genetics, pharm, ect) will be included?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Willamette

Willamette Good with a bo-staff
    7+ Year Member

My guess is that it will incorporate less of the non-path subjects than do his fantastic S.T.A.R.S books, because the Rapid Review Series (excellent sources IMHO) has individual books for each subject. Having said that, I don't know FOR SURE how much non-path material is actually in there.

4. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It includes lot of superficial genetics and biochem, like the specifics of chromosomal abnormalities and storage disease, etc. But I also dont think it is out until May.

5. Crazed

Crazed Member
    10+ Year Member

I just got the Review of Pathology book (it's a shorter version of his Pathology book), and it's really great. Very thorough, there are SOME relevant biochem and a tiny bit of pharm (but not individual chapters). Also, it turnes out that the book corresponds exactly with his 5 day review course! Very useful. Still, if you have very little time left, I'd go over BRS path instead - it's quicker, less explanations. Hope this helps! :)

6. -=UberSharky=-

-=UberSharky=- Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Im sorry...I am not familiar with the Goljan books. What exactly are the different things that Goljan offers ( books, 5-day review series ????, notes)? I have heard alot about Goljan, but I dont know much about this series. Thanks in advance.

7. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    He has written two pathology books for STARS, which also published Costanzo's Physiology book. He has taught board review (Step I and II) for Kaplan for almost 10 years (?) and is one of the foremost authorities on the USMLE. He is famous for his "Pathology in 40 hours", which is the 5-day course through kaplan, and his 40-page 'high-yield' facts. He also wrote many of the Pathology questions on the Board Simulator Series.

He currently: lectures at OSU-COM :D , does 6-8 board review sessions a year for Kaplan, edits the new Mosby's 'Rapid Review' series, writes the 'Most Commons...' series, and writes Pathology and Biochemistry texts for Mosby's.

All in all, the man is pretty good.