Sep 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi! I was recently accepted to a medical school and I will be matriculating next fall. I was wondering what are good online anatomy courses to take (especially for beginners)? What are the textbooks that are used in medical schools for this?

Thank you!

WheezyBaby

RSV Fomite
2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2016
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi! I was recently accepted to a medical school and I will be matriculating next fall. I was wondering what are good online anatomy courses to take (especially for beginners)? What are the textbooks that are used in medical schools for this?

Thank you!
Nothing you can do now will be worth the time imo. To answer your second question, Netter, rohen, Thieme for atlases. Moore's for text. Grant's for dissection

Reactions: Atom612 and gyngyn
OP
I
Sep 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Nothing you can do now will be worth the time imo. To answer your second question, Netter, rohen, Thieme for atlases. Moore's for text. Grant's for dissection
Don't do it.
Do the things that we are not going to teach you.
Learn to cook, Spanish, read for pleasure...

I have been doing those things! I am actually unemployed right now, and I am bored out of my mind. I've been working out for 2 hours a day, reading books, and my friends and I have been practicing Spanish for over two years. I have been doing a lot of other activities - including traveling. But, there are too many hours in my day and I cannot handle free time.

I was looking for a beginner's course because I have never taken anatomy in my life. My ADCOM said because I lacked this, it will be like hitting the ground running. I know when I went to college, I had no basis for chemistry and my classmates did. Thus, when I started, it was like a sprint and I could not keep up! My grades from my first two years reflect this.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I have been doing those things! I am actually unemployed right now, and I am bored out of my mind. I've been working out for 2 hours a day, reading books, and my friends and I have been practicing Spanish for over two years. I have been doing a lot of other activities - including traveling. But, there are too many hours in my day and I cannot handle free time.

I was looking for a beginner's course because I have never taken anatomy in my life. My ADCOM said because I lacked this, it will be like hitting the ground running. I know when I went to college, I had no basis for chemistry and my classmates did. Thus, when I started, it was like a sprint and I could not keep up! My grades from my first two years reflect this.
We will teach you more anatomy than you will ever need.
We will do it in a manner and intensity that makes anything you do now a misuse of your time.
How about Statistics, instead?

WheezyBaby

RSV Fomite
2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2016
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Do what you're going to do, it's your time

OP
I
Sep 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
We will teach you more anatomy than you will ever need.
We will do it in a manner and intensity that makes anything you do now a misuse of your time.
How about Statistics, instead?
I've taken upper level statistics. I've just never taken any anatomy course period, and I was advised to take it by the admissions officer in some manner or form because otherwise I would be lost. My biology foundation is very weak, so I'm not planning to study anatomy so that it's a full preparation or a full time job but more of something that won't make me feel completely lost the first week. Unless, of course, med schools assume you know nothing and go on from there, which was not the understanding I got from a professor and ADCOM. A student that day said if there was anything he advised it was brushing up on anatomy.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I've taken upper level statistics. I've just never taken any anatomy course period, and I was advised to take it by the admissions officer in some manner or form because otherwise I would be lost. My biology foundation is very weak, so I'm not planning to study anatomy so that it's a full preparation or a full time job but more of something that won't make me feel completely lost the first week. Unless, of course, med schools assume you know nothing and go on from there, which was not the understanding I got from a professor and ADCOM. A student that day said if there was anything he advised it was brushing up on anatomy.
If you devote yourself to the study of anatomy now, you will not learn what is clinically relevant or what relationships will be important in medicine. Your return on investment is very, very low. We always assume that no one has taken anatomy. As previously noted, it's your time...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
I
Sep 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
If you devote yourself to the study of anatomy now, you will not know what is clinically relevant or what relationships will be important in medicine. Your return on investment is very, very low. We always assume that no one has taken anatomy. As previously noted, it's your time...
That makes sense! Thank you. I was just concerned because an ADCOM told me to brush up on anatomy before beginning medical school, and I have never taken anatomy in any way/shape/form. Thank you!

Reactions: gyngyn

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
That makes sense! Thank you. I was just concerned because an ADCOM told me to brush up on anatomy before beginning medical school, and I have never taken anatomy in any way/shape/form. Thank you!
It's an even playing field. The few classmates who have taken it will be beyond their knowledge in a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
I
Sep 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks @gyngyn
If you devote yourself to the study of anatomy now, you will not know what is clinically relevant or what relationships will be important in medicine. Your return on investment is very, very low. We always assume that no one has taken anatomy. As previously noted, it's your time...
:)

Reactions: gyngyn