good and bad programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CUBuffsgrad98

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to the list and sort of behind the 8 ball on anesthesiology.

Can anyone tell me who are considered the top 10 programs and the bottom 10 programs?

Anybody know who didnt fill last year?

Your help is greatly valued!

Members don't see this ad.

On the same note, can anyone comment on Brookdale hospital in Brooklyn, NY.

Also, if a bottom 10 program offered you a position out of the match (assuming that this was not against the law) would you accept it, or would you rather take your chances and go through the expense, hassle, and gamble of the application process?

Thank you.

CUBuffsgrad98 said:
I am new to the list and sort of behind the 8 ball on anesthesiology.

Can anyone tell me who are considered the top 10 programs and the bottom 10 programs?

Anybody know who didnt fill last year?

Your help is greatly valued!

Check the FAQ for the top 20-30 programs.

I'd also like to know about what the bottom tier programs are.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD Dreams said:
On the same note, can anyone comment on Brookdale hospital in Brooklyn, NY.

Also, if a bottom 10 program offered you a position out of the match (assuming that this was not against the law) would you accept it, or would you rather take your chances and go through the expense, hassle, and gamble of the application process?

Thank you.

I am not applying to anesthesia (General Surgery hopefull), but your question seems general, so....

IMHO, a bird in the hand is better than 10 on the tree.....

so, if it were me, I would take the pre-match.....but it also depends on your USMLE stats, experience in the field, etc.....

Good Luck.

Some people would never apply to a bottom ten program, some would be lucky to be offered a position anywhere. If you are an average or lesser candidate, I would apply broadly, and if the interviews are only barely trickling in, then--and only then--consider taking an out of match position at a subpar program. Remember, this is your career, and you build your skills in residency. Training at a deficient program will lead to holes in your skill set.

If you land about 10 interviews, you should certainly match somewhere.

Best of luck.

Agree with Blocks...

I know people who interviewed at 6 places and only ranked three. They would rather scramble than take the bottom 3 on their list. They would rather try to get lucky and scramble into a better program (in their mind) than the bottom 3 that they interviewed at if they didn't match.

Other people I know interviewed at 13 places and ranked all 13. They would rather take the last one on their list than not match.

It's applicant dependent. Your comfort level, "stats," and what you want play the largest role in answering your question.

I'm the kind of guy who's probably going to rank every place I interview at. I'd rather not scramble, and it's only 4 years after all. :)

If you are planning to apply to Texas Programs. Watch out for UT-Houston. Too many changes - new chairman closed the pain clinic, program director resigning, many supporting staff laid off, few more attendings leaving to other programs, ....the whole department is reportedly $1-2 million in the red.....whoops...no more book funds.....