Technology Good Basic Printer

Started by Llenroc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking for a decent printer under $100. Black and white and color documents. Photos not necessary. Recommendations?

Something with cheap cartridges would be a plus too. 👍
 
Any inkjet should do the trick. For general printing any of the larger companies produce a decent product, I would however avoid Lexmark, I have seen more of that companies printers go to hell than any other.
 
Any inkjet should do the trick. For general printing any of the larger companies produce a decent product, I would however avoid Lexmark, I have seen more of that companies printers go to hell than any other.

For the price of a new ink cartridge, you could just replace the printer with a new lexmark thats on sale.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you really need color? If not just get a basic laser printer. I found a Samsung for right under $100 a couple years ago and it's a lot cheaper to print than an ink jet, plus it doubles as a copier.

If you do need to print color occasionally then maybe look into getting a laser printer for most printing and then just a basic color inkjet for those times when you need color. You could probably get both for around $150, definitely under $200.
 
My mom bought me a new printer that I can use for my freshman college school works.

Our new printer's brand is Brother, it is nice because you can connect it into a local area network and we (me, my brother and my mom) can print on it through connecting to lan connection.

We bought it for a price of 120USD. It's ink cartridges are really affordable too. It also comes with a xerox and scanner. 🙂
 
Go laser - Brother makes sub $150 lasers that are very nice and compact. The quality/sharpness of plain text printing, combined with lack of clogging/etc that inkjets suffer makes it completely worth it.

I picked up a HP LaserJet 4000 off Craigslist for $25 - complete with a duplexer & JetDirect card, so I can auto-two side print. Its huge yes, but LaserJet 4000s will still be printing long after the apocalypse. (Same holds true for the LJ 4 and 4+).
 
...Its huge yes, but LaserJet 4000s will still be printing long after the apocalypse. (Same holds true for the LJ 4 and 4+).
Too true, my 'rents have a 4L I gave them, it's 15 years old and still works just fine.