Good Biochem books for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salsasunrise123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Starting med school in August and never took biochem. Little nervous. Was wondering if anyone could recommend a good textbook to pickup or additional reference books to look into purchasing? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

And you survived the mcat? BRS biochem.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lippincott's.

I second Lipponcott's -------

AND

you have triggered the one of 2 times I ever advise pre-studying - biochem for med school
if you are not familiar, get familiar!

that is the one topic I would see slam students and ruin their derm dreams

I suggest Kaplan with the supplemented videos if you have access. Rapid review is a good one too. Lippincott's is a popular choice amongst students although I don't have any experience with the actual text book. Make sure to get a good question bank or book also. Lipincott's has a good question book.

How does biochem ruin derm dreams? Who cares about preclinical grades...or do you mean people lose confidence

How does biochem ruin derm dreams? Who cares about preclinical grades...or do you mean people lose confidence

I think that was a bit hyperbolus, nevertheless, if you fail a biochem block then it could quite possibly ruin your chances at derm and other highly competitive fields - at least for those that have borderline applications.

Edit: And who cares about preclinical grades?... well AOA does. And so do many programs that have run out of things to compare high achieving applicants by.

Reactions: 2 users
I think that was a bit hyperbolus, nevertheless, if you fail a biochem block then it could quite possibly ruin your chances at derm and other highly competitive fields - at least for those that have borderline applications.

Edit: And who cares about preclinical grades?... well AOA does. And so do many programs that have run out of things to compare high achieving applicants by.
Very interesting, quite sad that's the case. So glad my school doesn't have grades or AOA. :shifty:

Hello,

Starting med school in August and never took biochem. Little nervous. Was wondering if anyone could recommend a good textbook to pickup or additional reference books to look into purchasing? Thanks.

Hmmm. Biochem may be tough them. At my school, almost everyone's been through Biochem before so it's all review and the exam averages are in the 90s. That being said, don't pre-study. It's not worth it. I'd recommend Rapid Review Biochem by Goljian. Also, Lehninger's is the book most schools teach of off in case you need something if your lecturers don't make sense.

Edit: I'm sorry for the brain-dump of ideas/strategies when you were just looking for a few resources. If I had to choose just one book, I'd go with Lippincott.

This is what worked for me coming from a similar background. Lectures were largely useless so I stayed at home (one of the best decisions I made during my preclinical years).

First Aid (FA)
USMLERx
Goljan's Rapid Review Biochem
2010 Kaplan Biochem Lectures
Dr Najeeb x2 speed

Sounds like a lot but hear me out.

I always feel sheepish recommending Dr Najeeb, but his videos are great if you don't have the background (like me). If you copy down his diagrams, review with Kaplan, and read Goljan--things synergise very strongly. Then, read the corresponding sections in FA. Don't just memorise the words. FA is like a dictionary. You should be able to tell a story about the items listed in FA. Seriously, just close your eyes and start talking to yourself about what you just read. Elaborate as much as you can. This is active learning. It's hard at first, but as you pick up more and more, you start making elaborations across the book and develop lateral thinking. This aligns with how Step 1 asks questions.

Now, apply what you've learned. Do the Biochem USMLERx questions and annotate as needed into FA. (Don't worry about your scores, just learn as much as you can.) FA thus becomes your study guide all the way until Step 1.

What works well is this: Dr Najeeb's lectures also tie in perfectly with Costanzo's Physiology. So your physiology studying would be similar. System by system, watch Dr Najeeb x2, read Costanzo, read FA actively (as described above), do USMLERx, annotate into FA, and now you have a study guide all the way to Step 1. Just the same, he ties in with Big Robbins/Pathoma/Goljan (audio and Rapid Review) for pathology and and Raymon's Kaplan 2010 for pharmacology. Microbiology: just buy Lippincott's Microcards and memorise. Like, pencil and paper and write it down a hundred times until it sticks.

I always recommend supplementing with high quality learning resources wherever possible. John West's Respiratory Physiology, Acid-Base, Fluids and Electrolytes Made Ridiculously Simple, the ICU Book to tie together physiology in a clinical context at the end of first year, etc. Ask around. But if it ain't working for you chuck it and find something else.

You aren't necessarily aiming to do well in your class; you're trying to maximise your Step 1 score. But your grades will very likely be fine.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I honestly studied 9-5 M-F with review with friends on Sunday. We were all on the same "plan," so it was really motivating. When Step 1 rolled around, I was already thoroughly familiar with FA and already done an entire QBank. Then it was just a matter of reviewing FA (which had become my personal study guide) and doing UWorld with calibration from NBMEs. My dedicated study period was a month and I did fine (low 250s).

Sooo... this turned out to be longer than I expected and way beyond the scope of your original question. I hope something in it helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

AND

you have triggered the one of 2 times I ever advise pre-studying - biochem for med school

What's the second situation?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Moof University is not comprehensive by any means, but will give you a more than sufficient foundation for med school.

I've actually found med school biochem to be significantly easier than undergrad, although this could be because I've already seen the material before.

AND

Why not Gross Anatomy? Or at least part of it?

Oh, ok. Congrats! And your MSPE doesn't divide students into categories or by MSPE adjective either?
Edit: actually jk I'm not sure at all how our MSPEs work so nvm. But I know they're based entirely on clinical evaluations/grades (we don't have shelves) and other softs like ECs

Last edited:
Edit: actually jk I'm not sure at all how our MSPEs work so nvm. But I know they're based entirely on clinical evaluations/grades (we don't have shelves) and other softs like ECs
Yes, Yale really rolls out the red carpet for students. Must be nice. :arghh: