good biochem source?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonsciencemajor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
as you can tell from my SN I am a non-science major. I have been accepted to several US MD schools, and am starting in August. I only did the pre-req's and no upper level science courses. So this semester is the first time I am doing an upper level science course and it is a graduate level physiology course which uses Guyton as its main textbook. I am sure at least this course will give me a good prior exposure to the material before med school starts.

I was also thinking of doing biochem, but not as a course. Just to learn myself... get the basics down before school starts. I have Lippincott Biochem but that just seems very time consumptive....

so i found this website

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/

it is a biochem online page for IU medical school, so it is medical biochemistry. Would knowing everything on the website be a good enough foundation on which I can build upon in med school? Or is these wwaayy to less, and I would have to resort to Lippincott? I am asking if this is a good foundation to go in with.... not that if I study this, will I get honors in biochem... this website is probably not even enough to pass biochem... but is it a good webpage for a basic foundation UPON which I can build upon... and would knowing this webpage, help me understand biochem better in med school and not make it seem all foreign to me?

Please let me know.... and please dont say there is nothing I can do to prepare for med school... I know that... but i just wanted a solid foundation before entering so I can build on it in med school.... so knowing this website inside and out, would this be good foundational knowledge? or would I really have to resort to Lippincott at the minimum?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know you don't want to hear this, but I'm going to say it anyway because it's the truth. You don't need a "good foundation" for medical school! Biochem is not a prereq at most schools for a reason - it means you don't need it before med school. You will start the class with the professors assuming everyone has never taken it before.

I know medical school can seem scary - everyone freaks out a bit before they start. And then you dive in, and take it one day at a time (or at least one test at a time) and you get through it without any problems. I think I've said this to you before - there's a reason the drop out/failing rate for medical schools is so low! It's a lot of material, but the material itself is not difficult, and you get used to the amount. After a couple of months, you'll look back and say to yourself "what was I so scared about, this isn't bad at all."

You seriously start everything over - as if you've never taken science classes. Our first day of biochem actually covered more organic chem (nomenclature, what different molecules are) than biochem.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I'm going to say it anyway because it's the truth. You don't need a "good foundation" for medical school! Biochem is not a prereq at most schools for a reason - it means you don't need it before med school. You will start the class with the professors assuming everyone has never taken it before.

I know medical school can seem scary - everyone freaks out a bit before they start. And then you dive in, and take it one day at a time (or at least one test at a time) and you get through it without any problems. I think I've said this to you before - there's a reason the drop out/failing rate for medical schools is so low! It's a lot of material, but the material itself is not difficult, and you get used to the amount. After a couple of months, you'll look back and say to yourself "what was I so scared about, this isn't bad at all."

You seriously start everything over - as if you've never taken science classes. Our first day of biochem actually covered more organic chem (nomenclature, what different molecules are) than biochem.

:rolleyes:... i knew this unavoidable... but can you please tell me if this website is a good foundational source before entering med school? Would this website help me grasp concepts slightly faster than as compared to as if I never had even seen biochem... or is lippincott the way to go... it just seems so big, and other than physio, i dont want to study too hard before med school starts... i wanna kinda relax, but there are times when I feel like I am doing absolutely nothing, and wanna do something academic related... so in those moments, should i read this website or pick up lippincott?

Members don't see this ad :)
i just looked at the website, and I have to say it is good. The fact that it is a website of IU also makes it a credible source. This in my opinion will definitely give you a solid foundation in biochem before going into med school. And those who actually took the course, this is basically what they will remember as well when they enter, so yea this website looks pretty good to me...

while I am a premed still, I start med school in August. As you can tell from my SN, I am a non-science major... i only did the pre-req's needed for admission along with MCAT.... but I was concerned about not having done upper level courses, especially biochem...

so i looked at this website...

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/home.html

this website is part of Indiana University school of medicine. At first I thought this website is not enough, but after having done Chemistry of Amino Acids in Basic Chemistry of Biomolecules, I then looked at the first chapter of Amino Acids in lippincott, and it covered everything!!!!! I understood it better than lippincott, and it is shorter....

just wanted to share this with all the med students this reference... i really think this is a good supplemental to class and it is really good for people preparing for biochem for USMLE

I was a non-science major in undergrad (class of 2006) and took time off with a non-science job. All I used for biochem this year was the powerpoint slides. I bought a book and didn't even use it. I don't buy books anymore except for Netter's. Did well in biochem, too. Thank god that class is done with...disliked it very much.