good book for starting residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckychance

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
is there a good overview type book that is a good first book to read in residency? just wondering what i should read in july when i start ophtho residency.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone,
is there a good overview type book that is a good first book to read in residency? just wondering what i should read in july when i start ophtho residency.
thanks!

I am sure that people will tell you different things. The OKAPs and Boards will expect you to know the content of what is in your BCSC books. You won't go wrong by reading those.

any opinions on "the wills eye manual"...

it's quite pricey, but seems to have nice glossy pictures.

Members don't see this ad :)
an absolute necessity during your first year of residency.

Absolutely. Before you buy it though, check with your program. Some programs buy this book for all of their residents. At some other programs, they have an arrangement with a local drug rep to buy them for the incoming residents.

Practical Ophthalmology for the Beginning Resident is also a nice book to start out with right before you begin your residency or at the very beginning of it.

Absolutely. Before you buy it though, check with your program. Some programs buy this book for all of their residents. At some other programs, they have an arrangement with a local drug rep to buy them for the incoming residents.

Practical Ophthalmology for the Beginning Resident is also a nice book to start out with right before you begin your residency or at the very beginning of it.

What about Chern's Ophthalmology Review manual during intern year?

http://www.amazon.com/Ophthalmology...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213124767&sr=8-1

Almost near the end of my first year in ophthalmology and having read more than half the BCSC, all of the Will's Eye ER manual, I think that the BCSC books are good, but the information is so scattered. You have to look at 7 books to review one topic - WTF!. For that reason I like the Yanoff - Ophthalmology Text, and I also like Kanski's ophthalmology text for clear concise information on a disease process. All that being said the OKAPS test directly from the BCSC series.

The Wills manual is very handy to have as a first year. I found that after first year though, I pretty much stopped using it. So if you don't get a free copy from a drug rep, ask your seniors if you can borrow a copy, and save yourself some money.

IMO, I thought that some of the BCSC books were quite good (cornea, retina, fundamentals), and others weren't (optics, peds). I often felt that I wasn't getting enough detail or up-to-date information on certain topics, so I'd turn to other sources (Yanoff, Kanski, comprehensive review articles in literature, and other textbooks from our library).

I got a neuro-ophth review book (by Kline & Bajandas) which I found useful. I would also recommend a good atlas, like Spalton, a beautiful but expensive atlas.

What about Chern's Ophthalmology Review manual during intern year?

http://www.amazon.com/Ophthalmology...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213124767&sr=8-1
Practical Ophthalmogy: A Manual for Beginning Residents is good to begin with. I covers all of the essential exam skills you will need to become good at quickly.

The Chern review book is horrible, I used this help study for my OKAPS my first year and I really didn't like it. The Chern question book is much better. During you intern year I would read Kanski and find a good atlas and look at pics.

You won't go wrong by reading those.

Unless you want a book that might actually teach you how to treat something . . .

sorry, couldn't resist!

but yeah, those are a safe choice b/c you'll have to eventually read them anyway. But if you need some practical info for getting started in clinic, will eye manual and practical ophthalmology are the way to go. Although those two function better as references then as something you can just sit down and read through. Kanski is a good book for just reading about certain topics in. Then read the BCSC to prepare for okaps.

Last edited:
Practical Ophthalmogy: A Manual for Beginning Residents is good to begin with. I covers all of the essential exam skills you will need to become good at quickly.

The Chern review book is horrible, I used this help study for my OKAPS my first year and I really didn't like it. The Chern question book is much better. During you intern year I would read Kanski and find a good atlas and look at pics.

I don't know if I'd go that far with Chern. I'd agree that the question book is better for OKAPs and written boards, but the review manual is nice for orals (especially since you don't want to have to take too much with you for the travelling).
I also think that it's only good as a refresher once you know the stuff. It wouldn't be very helpful during intern year or PGY2.