good book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
have 2 weeks to go until I start my first EM rotation and I really want to shine. Can anyone recommend some good reading material that would be really beneficial to start with? How about any Q&A books also-

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard "The Da Vinci Code" is a good read. maybe you've heard of it?

I recommend "Naked" by David Sedaris. I've read it three times and I still pee my pants a little I laugh so hard at it.

I guess these books won't make you shine on an EM rotation though.

Looking back on my 4th year EM rotation, the things that would have really impressed my attendings ( and the qualities that impress me about medical students now) are developing a broad differential diagnosis, knowing how to read basic EKG rhythms, and knowing ACLS. Pick up an ACLS book and read it. I also recommend Garcia's "Art of EKG interpretation". Know the basics of treating a cardiac emergency. If you don't know when to shock someone, you won't make a good impression.

Know how to do a pelvic. I really impressed several attendings by being able to confidently go in and do a thorough pelvic exam. It is a 100% certainty that you will be doing at least 1-2 pelvics during your EM month and it is also a 100% certainty that you will be supervised by an attending while you do it. Here's your chance to shine and show you've got confidence, knowledge, people skills, sensitivity, and maturity.

Good luck!!!! EM rocks.

lol, here's a more specific question... a good book to cover:
"what's the next step in diagnosis, what's the best study, what's the initial management," etc. that are always on the boards AND in the real world.

any suggestions?

thnx

Members don't see this ad :)
im on my 2nd er and ive been using case files for EM. I really like it. It fits in my coat pocket and on down time i read the cases. They are very short and have several questions at the end of each. Plus if you have a patient that has sob or chest pain and you are reading the section on it while your waiting for labs to come back, it still looks like your being productive and your interested in your patient. I also have lippincots pocket guide to EM. its a good book listed by cheif complaint, and goes thru tests to run, signs and symptoms, etc. but there are no questions. hope this helps

I had bummed an ER secrets book for my 4th year rotation and thought that was very very good.

I looked at ER Secrets and i'd agree that it was pretty good (but I really like the Secrets series). I liked case files too, but it didnt seem as useful as secrets. There's a book out there thats called "EM Clinical Pearls" or something like that, which in my opinion, is totally worthless. If you rotate at Cook Cty they tell you the exam is based off of it, but I didnt really find that to be true.

Knowing your ECGs seemed to impress attendings. Know what to do for MIs for sure; aspririn, NTG, etc, etc