Good Books for Pediatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

applicant2002

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I am a pedi intern. I have some leftover money in my education fund from my program. I am looking good books to buy.

Topics I would like to have good books in
Pediatric ICU
Pedi Pulmonology

I am looking for good books to read on rotation, not giant textbooks

I already have Nelson's and Zitelli's

Please give me your advice.
 
anyone?🙂

It depends on what your purpose for the books is. If you are looking for a comprehensive textbook, then for ICU, I would go with Zimmerman's new book. BTW, he's a great guy! I have yet to find a good PICU book aimed at residents nothing I've found like the NICU book Gomella. As for pulm, if you are looking for a good book to cover the topics -- a text to teach you the basics while doing a rotation, then I'd go for the new Requisits in Pediatrics book. Very good and at your level.

I don't have any suggestions for other textbooks. I've actually put my Nelson's up for sale on Amazon because I have no use for it. Between emedicine, Up-to-Date and OVID I wonder if textbooks have a role anymore....

Ed
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It depends on what your purpose for the books is. If you are looking for a comprehensive textbook, then for ICU, I would go with Zimmerman's new book. BTW, he's a great guy! I have yet to find a good PICU book aimed at residents nothing I've found like the NICU book Gomella. As for pulm, if you are looking for a good book to cover the topics -- a text to teach you the basics while doing a rotation, then I'd go for the new Requisits in Pediatrics book. Very good and at your level.

I don't have any suggestions for other textbooks. I've actually put my Nelson's up for sale on Amazon because I have no use for it. Between emedicine, Up-to-Date and OVID I wonder if textbooks have a role anymore....

Ed

Thanks, I ended up ordering the pulmonology book you suggested and Smith's recognizable patterns of human malformation. Thanks for your help 😀
 
Hi,

I'm looking for a good book to read before I start my peds core rotation. I want to go into pediatrics and I'm hoping to get a good LOR from my attending. Do I have to read Harriet Lane or Nelsons😱 or are there any other good books out there?🙄

Thanks
 
Hi,

I'm looking for a good book to read before I start my peds core rotation. I want to go into pediatrics and I'm hoping to get a good LOR from my attending. Do I have to read Harriet Lane or Nelsons😱 or are there any other good books out there?🙄

Thanks

free and online:
http://www.hawaii.edu/medicine/pediatrics/pedtext/

also the main website has great resources as well:
http://www.hawaii.edu/medicine/pediatrics/welcome.html

I especially like this resource as I have no kids and sometimes have no idea what to tell parents when they ask some questions:
http://www.hawaii.edu/medicine/pediatrics/parenting/parenting.html

Hope this helps!
 
Hi, for an intern rotating on the PICU I would recommend:

Handbook of Pediatric Intensive Care
by Mark C. Rogers

This is a 6 by 9 inch handbook good for looking stuff up on rotation.

You could also check-out what is available as a PDA book/program, but I don't like trying to read from the small screen, maybe when the next gen cybook reader comes out I will do this . .

BTW, I think that some pedi PICU fellows use:

Pediatric Critical Care 2nd Edition, Fuhrman

as their main textbook, and read selected sections.