Good Books for Pediatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant2002

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am a pedi intern. I have some leftover money in my education fund from my program. I am looking good books to buy.

Topics I would like to have good books in
Pediatric ICU
Pedi Pulmonology

I am looking for good books to read on rotation, not giant textbooks

I already have Nelson's and Zitelli's

Please give me your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what your purpose for the books is. If you are looking for a comprehensive textbook, then for ICU, I would go with Zimmerman's new book. BTW, he's a great guy! I have yet to find a good PICU book aimed at residents nothing I've found like the NICU book Gomella. As for pulm, if you are looking for a good book to cover the topics -- a text to teach you the basics while doing a rotation, then I'd go for the new Requisits in Pediatrics book. Very good and at your level.

I don't have any suggestions for other textbooks. I've actually put my Nelson's up for sale on Amazon because I have no use for it. Between emedicine, Up-to-Date and OVID I wonder if textbooks have a role anymore....

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what your purpose for the books is. If you are looking for a comprehensive textbook, then for ICU, I would go with Zimmerman's new book. BTW, he's a great guy! I have yet to find a good PICU book aimed at residents nothing I've found like the NICU book Gomella. As for pulm, if you are looking for a good book to cover the topics -- a text to teach you the basics while doing a rotation, then I'd go for the new Requisits in Pediatrics book. Very good and at your level.

I don't have any suggestions for other textbooks. I've actually put my Nelson's up for sale on Amazon because I have no use for it. Between emedicine, Up-to-Date and OVID I wonder if textbooks have a role anymore....

Ed

Thanks, I ended up ordering the pulmonology book you suggested and Smith's recognizable patterns of human malformation. Thanks for your help :D

Hi,

I'm looking for a good book to read before I start my peds core rotation. I want to go into pediatrics and I'm hoping to get a good LOR from my attending. Do I have to read Harriet Lane or Nelsons:eek: or are there any other good books out there?:rolleyes:

Thanks

Hi,

I'm looking for a good book to read before I start my peds core rotation. I want to go into pediatrics and I'm hoping to get a good LOR from my attending. Do I have to read Harriet Lane or Nelsons:eek: or are there any other good books out there?:rolleyes:

Thanks

free and online:
http://www.hawaii.edu/medicine/pediatrics/pedtext/

also the main website has great resources as well:
http://www.hawaii.edu/medicine/pediatrics/welcome.html

I especially like this resource as I have no kids and sometimes have no idea what to tell parents when they ask some questions:
http://www.hawaii.edu/medicine/pediatrics/parenting/parenting.html

Hope this helps!

Hi, for an intern rotating on the PICU I would recommend:

Handbook of Pediatric Intensive Care
by Mark C. Rogers

This is a 6 by 9 inch handbook good for looking stuff up on rotation.

You could also check-out what is available as a PDA book/program, but I don't like trying to read from the small screen, maybe when the next gen cybook reader comes out I will do this . .

BTW, I think that some pedi PICU fellows use:

Pediatric Critical Care 2nd Edition, Fuhrman

as their main textbook, and read selected sections.

Thanks ChildNeuro and Applicant for your suggestions:thumbup: