-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Good books for procedures?
Started by NeedToStudy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If you have access to Clinical Key by Elsevier that is a really fantastic resource. Just search for the procedure and numerous resources will pop up. One of them is a resource called Procedures Consult; it has very concise and brief descriptions of the procedure, supplies needed, relevant anatomy, technique(s), indications, absolute/relative contraindications, tests to order post-procedure, post-procedure wound care, complications, and common pitfalls. There may even be an associated video.
I've been working on "The Art of Camera Driving for the M3." I'll PM you a copy after my editor finishes the corrections.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been working on "The Art of Camera Driving for the M3." I'll PM you a copy after my editor finishes the corrections.
Is it 5 pages?
1 page for 'How to get your team to let you drive the Camera', with sub-sections for first-timers and experienced veterans.
1 page for 'Don't break anything (especially not the patient) once they let you touch it'.
1 page for 'Realizing you will always be too close or too far away from whatever you're supposed to be visualizing.'
1 page for 'Oops, you poked the patient's organ. What now?'
1 page for 'Coming to terms with losing Camera privileges and going back to being Suction/Suture-cutting bitch'.
If so, that would be massively helpful to future MS3s. Looking forward to it.
Wait, we are suppose to know how to do procedures before intern year? Crap.
lol Please tell me you are an IMGWait, we are suppose to know how to do procedures before intern year? Crap.
Even better: being sarcastic.lol Please tell me you are an IMG
But in reality what kind of prereq procedures are expected of an intern, besides the basic suturing/starting IV/fumbling through an intubation?
thanks!THIS. It has how-to procedures in the back.![]()
In all seriousness, YouTube videos are great for procedures. NEJM also has excellent ones. Better to see it done than simply read about it.
I've been working on "The Art of Camera Driving for the M3." I'll PM you a copy after my editor finishes the corrections.
heh sounds like a real page turner...
YouTube is a Great resource. I was rusty on doing a paracentesis this week - been about 2 years. I had the Internist proctor me. He told me to go watch the youtube video really quick first. It was Awesome. Great review. I felt like I was up to speed. Did the procedure without a hitch. I felt at ease having watched the video first.
You should know how to place a central line, art line, and perform a bronch. This is somewhat specialty dependent of course, but if you work in any ICU (except maybe in the pediatric world?) during intern year you will likely get to do any (or all) of what I listed.Even better: being sarcastic.
But in reality what kind of prereq procedures are expected of an intern, besides the basic suturing/starting IV/fumbling through an intubation?
Anyone care to make a complete list of procedures that you should know on your first day of internship?
Any by a particular user or different videos by different users (for different procedures)?YouTube is a Great resource. I was rusty on doing a paracentesis this week - been about 2 years. I had the Internist proctor me. He told me to go watch the youtube video really quick first. It was Awesome. Great review. I felt like I was up to speed. Did the procedure without a hitch. I felt at ease having watched the video first.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, just picked a few randoms videos. For what it's worth, I never have done an art line or a bronchoscopy. It's been 6 years since I've done a central lineAny by a particular user or different videos by different users (for different procedures)?
Wait, we are suppose to know how to do procedures before intern year? Crap.
I sure as hell didn't get the memo.....
I barely knew how to suture walking in the hospital on July 1st D:
I hope you're not joking here. Somebody may believe you and show up intern year knowing nothing.I sure as hell didn't get the memo.....
I barely knew how to suture walking in the hospital on July 1st D:
I'm not joking haha. I literally didn't know how to intubate or suture or do procedures before walking into intern year. Thankfully, everyone else said it's ok to not know those things: interns weren't expected to know anything.
I mean, in med school, I only sutured during suture lecture in my surgery rotation. I would have murdered someone's pinky with me not knowing how the hell to even BEGIN suturing. And intubations...if I didn't take the optional gas elective(which I didn't), I didn't tube anyone in my rotations.
I did have someone sit down and show me and I spent time literally practicing to get it down before going with real skin. Lo and behold, I got my chance to suture, and despite me freaking out on the inside and thinking I'm gonna be a ****-up(after all, I am a doofus), it was a success and the attending just nodded his head.
I mean, in med school, I only sutured during suture lecture in my surgery rotation. I would have murdered someone's pinky with me not knowing how the hell to even BEGIN suturing. And intubations...if I didn't take the optional gas elective(which I didn't), I didn't tube anyone in my rotations.
I did have someone sit down and show me and I spent time literally practicing to get it down before going with real skin. Lo and behold, I got my chance to suture, and despite me freaking out on the inside and thinking I'm gonna be a ****-up(after all, I am a doofus), it was a success and the attending just nodded his head.
Here is how much procedural knowledge I expect the interns to arrive with:
<crickets>
I would certainly like them to know what the word intubation means, and if they know the steps, then that's even better. (a little hyperbole of course, but you get the idea)
We have procedural orientation during the first few weeks where we take all the interns through the steps of all of the procedures they will need. And then they are supervised when they do them on patients for the first few months. Nobody is expected to be able to do the specialty-specific procedures when they arrive... that's what training is for.
<crickets>
I would certainly like them to know what the word intubation means, and if they know the steps, then that's even better. (a little hyperbole of course, but you get the idea)
We have procedural orientation during the first few weeks where we take all the interns through the steps of all of the procedures they will need. And then they are supervised when they do them on patients for the first few months. Nobody is expected to be able to do the specialty-specific procedures when they arrive... that's what training is for.
http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Medicine-Procedures-Second-Edition/dp/0071613501
This book is very well-written and illustrated-- if your school has an Access EM subscription you can read it through there. If not, look for a used copy or something-- very solid explanations for all common procedures and then some.
This book is very well-written and illustrated-- if your school has an Access EM subscription you can read it through there. If not, look for a used copy or something-- very solid explanations for all common procedures and then some.
Are you in a family medicine residency? Those are the only residency programs whose websites I've seen have a procedures month.Here is how much procedural knowledge I expect the interns to arrive with:
<crickets>
I would certainly like them to know what the word intubation means, and if they know the steps, then that's even better. (a little hyperbole of course, but you get the idea)
We have procedural orientation during the first few weeks where we take all the interns through the steps of all of the procedures they will need. And then they are supervised when they do them on patients for the first few months. Nobody is expected to be able to do the specialty-specific procedures when they arrive... that's what training is for.
Are you in a family medicine residency? Those are the only residency programs whose websites I've seen have a procedures month.
Emergency medicine.
We don't have a procedures month... it's a few days that happens during orientation week.
The place I did my EM residency also did the same thing.
The place I did my surgical internship also did the same thing.
🙂 It's not that uncommon.
HA, I wish.Here is how much procedural knowledge I expect the interns to arrive with:
<crickets>
I would certainly like them to know what the word intubation means, and if they know the steps, then that's even better. (a little hyperbole of course, but you get the idea)
We have procedural orientation during the first few weeks where we take all the interns through the steps of all of the procedures they will need. And then they are supervised when they do them on patients for the first few months. Nobody is expected to be able to do the specialty-specific procedures when they arrive... that's what training is for.
This is true.Emergency medicine.
We don't have a procedures month... it's a few days that happens during orientation week.
The place I did my EM residency also did the same thing.
The place I did my surgical internship also did the same thing.
🙂 It's not that uncommon.
Most important thing isn't the technical know-how; we can teach that pretty easily and repetition breeds mastery.
More important are the *indications* for certain procedures. Why tube? Why place a CVL or chest tube? Why do an LP? Etc...
-d
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 4K