Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Good bye!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by svalenzuela02p, Mar 20, 2004.

1. I just wanted to say good bye to everyone in the D.O. forum. You guys have been soooo supportive during my quest to get into med school. But I will be withdrawing my DMU acceptance because I have been accepted at Loma Linda University school of Medicine. I am soo happy I made it, but I believe I went through this trouble for a reason. When I become a great practicing physicain, I will never question the creditentials of a D.O. and I can bring awareness of their benefit in my practice......

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Good luck.

4. crazy250

crazy250 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

that's the biggest load of arrogant crap. i remember you saying earlier that you don't have any "real" acceptances and got into only DO schools. if you really didn't mind going DO, then why were you not content with you DO acceptance? I just hate it when people say things they don't mean. :smuggrin:

5. Dr. Don

Dr. Don Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ouch...but either way good luck to you svalenz.....

6. Aaron Earles

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Good Luck to ya!

7. Dr JPH

Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not saying you don't have a good point, but sometimes it's better to just nod and wave rather than opening ones mouth.

8. mobius

mobius Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

good luck

9. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

Uh, what trouble? Getting accepted into a DO school? Yeah, I see you really respect osteopathic medicine. :rolleyes:

10. Insert

Insert Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The following is what svalenzuela02p has said in the past for those that are wondering:

11. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Please understand that people will change their minds about how they see the world of medicine many many times along the road. That poster's arrogance in the previous statements may well be replaced one day by an earnest respect for and understanding of his or her DO colleagues. Especially the first time he or she gets schooled by one of us on the wards. :)

12. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

Good riddance.

13. shsgrad

shsgrad Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I must say that you have insulted many of us that love and respect Osteopathic Medicine. I wish you luck in school but I hope you understand how condescending your comments have been :(

14. obviously none you understood what I was trying to say. Yes I applied this year to both osteopathic and allopathic. I was accepted and planning on attending an osteopathic school. I was very happy about it, though i could not shrug the sad feeling that I would not be an M.D. (You see everyone in my family are M.Ds), but I new that Osteopathic school would be just as great. Just this week I got accepted to M.D. school. I had been rejected from everyone else and I thought this M.D. school would do the same. I had all my plans to move to DMU set out. I was sooo happy to get into my hometown M.D. school. I posted to say good bye, but more importantly thank all you for supporting me. I never meant to be arrogant, but send thanks to guys. I got the support from you guys to do whatever it takes to become a physician. If you read that previous posting you will see it is from a long time ago. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Aaron Earles

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It is important that you go the route that is best for you. Congratulations on all of your acceptances. Might I suggest that just because your entire family went the allopathic route, does not mean that you have to follow suite. Just my thoughts. Best of luck to you.

16. NSA914

NSA914 Member
    7+ Year Member

C'mon you guys, let's not be so defensive. If someone is honest enough to say that they would rather be an MD than DO, why should we care? If anything, it opens up seats for those of us who are serious about becoming a DO. We should be happy because now someone who may really want to be our colleague in this profession will get a chance to do so.

So Good luck Svalenzuela! And sorry if anyone from the osteopathic forum was rude to you. We are just very proud and passionate about being future DOs.

17. Chrisobean

Chrisobean The Killer Bean
    7+ Year Member

honesty can be quite refreshing...

good luck

18. Insert

Insert Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually your first quote that I posted was written on Febuary 2nd which was just about a month and a half ago. I believe your views have not changed much since then. These views of course are that osteopathic school is not the same as allopathic school. You should have never posted this thread given your views.

19. Cowboy DO

Cowboy DO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

whats the point of saying "good bye"? like now hes not able to post on the osteopathic forum? Good for you for getting into the school that you wanted to go to, thats awesome. However, Its not the case that only MD's who were threatend with the "obligation" of going the DO route respect DO's. So I guess I'd like to say again...whats your point?

20. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

"Valenzuela" deserves no defense from future DO's. Not only were his/her previous posts derogatory towards osteopathic medicine ("only" getting into DO schools, it being "not the same", being sad MD schools "dont want [him/her]"), but this "good bye" is nothing but a self-congratulatory "see ya!!! I got into "real" medschool!!"
    Have fun at Loma Linda, and I suggest learning English before you become a doctor.

21. HoudyK

HoudyK Member
    7+ Year Member

I think many of you need not be so defensive about our future profession. you are the ones that give it a bad name by posting and ripping on people like svalenzuela. who gives a f*** what this person thinks and if they want to be an MD while you want to be a DO. This defensive nature that some of you have displayed shows that you may have underlying insecurities about being a DO. Stop tearing into people when you have no true basis to do so, it makes all of us DO's look bad.

22. (nicedream)

7+ Year Member

It's necessary to be defensive when being attacked. I don't believe there was anything ambiguous about this persons feelings - if someone attacks osteopathic medicine, or denigrates it in any way, I will respond. It has nothing to do with insecurity.

23. Dr JPH

Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pardon me for pointing this out, but you have yet to attend one day in osteopathic medical school. I am not sure of your familiarity with the osteopathic profession or the bias that does exist in many areas, but I would make sure you have something to base your remarks on before you begin criticizing others for what they say.

24. stomper627

stomper627 Go Cougs!!!
    7+ Year Member

I think that the arrogance of the OPs comments have even eluded him/her. I mean....must one really say goodbye on a public forum where ANYONE can go? Is the OP saying that he/she will never post/view another thread in the osteo forums as he/she is now going allopathic? Hmmm.....I guess I shouldnt ever go look at the premed forums (ooops) as Im already a student.
    This person will not get it....and thats fine....just dont patronize me.
    stomper

25. HoudyK

HoudyK Member
    7+ Year Member

JP,
    You are right in saying I don't have much experience yet with the profession. However, I have a very close relationship with my brother who is a DO and is now a 4th year resident. I have discussed many topics like this with him, as he has been victim of discrimination from family and people that don't understand what osteopathic medicine is. Trust me, it also pisses me off some of the things people like svalenzuela says. All i'm trying to say is what is the point of some people getting so pissed about what they say?? I just think sometimes it makes us look bad.
    We all know where we will be as D.O.s, and we all know that many of us will be better doctors than our M.D. counterparts.

I agree that it is ridiculous that Svalenzuela started a "goodbye" thread, but I think their intentions were honest.

26. Dr JPH

Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am with you on this.

But you cannot help the way some people took the post, especially based on the other posts of t his particular user.

All I am saying is that dropping the blame on our guys for standing up for their profession is probably not the way to go. There are far moer damaging things in our profession than people who are "too proud" and "too quick to defend"...which is how I view those people...not that they themselves are insecure.

27. shsgrad

shsgrad Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why are we still responding to this thread?:confused: Let's move on.
    OP, good luck to you in all that you do, to current D.O. hopefulls don't let the words or actions of a few deter you from your dreams, and for the rest of my fellow class of 2008's (regardless of school) best of luck to you all as we embark on this new stage in our lives!