Schools with good rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bldkd

Reaction score
edit (...)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depending on your stats and state of residence, I might suggest sticking with MD only.

The public state-supported ones such as Rowan and Oklahoma State likely meet some of your points, but favor residents from their respective states or neighboring areas. Outside of those, PCOM, LECOM and KCU might match some of your criteria.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the suggestions. My gpa/mcat are 3.5/509, but I'm planning on retaking the mcat and have been averaging ~518 on recent FLs. My in-state MD programs are UMMC (Ole Miss) and South Alabama. I think I have a decent shot at MD, but would either of those MDs really be much better than a good DO school like the some of those you mentioned?

Just read up a bit on the schools you mentioned, and PCOM and KCU sound pretty great. It sounds like LECOM main campus has good results but mixed reviews.
Yes LECOM has a strict administration. I believe it is a better environment at the main campus vs the one in Florida, where there have been more complains, but it would be good to check. Ole Miss and South Alabama would be stronger options. Make sure that you are considered in-state, I am unsure if Mississippi and Alabama have an agreement between their states. Unless you meant University of Alabama instead of Ole Miss, or if you attended undergrad in the other state.

You have good chances at your state schools. I think adding those 2 DO schools and maybe Oklahoma State (if you improve your score) would be good. ACOM had good rotations I heard, but I am unsure if they are centralized.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes LECOM has a strict administration. I believe it is a better environment at the main campus vs the one in Florida, where there have been more complains, but it would be good to check. Ole Miss and South Alabama would be stronger options. Make sure that you are considered in-state, I am unsure if Mississippi and Alabama have an agreement between their states. Unless you meant University of Alabama instead of Ole Miss, or if you attended undergrad in the other state.

You have good chances at your state schools. I think adding those 2 DO schools and maybe Oklahoma State (if you improve your score) would be good. ACOM had good rotations I heard, but I am unsure if they are centralized.
ACOM has good rotations, but they're scattered throughout Alabama (~25 sites), Mississippi (1 site), and the Florida Panhandle (~6 sites).

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you qualify for in-state for UMMC and/or USA, those are an order of magnitude better options than even an established DO school, and the cost would surely be less. Don't make your life harder than it has to be.

Since your from Mississippi?, WCUCOM has good rotation sites as well. They are mostly in MS and Louisiana(If you want to stay in the region for M3 and M4) and are centralized. They also have one in NY which has residencies in surgery, optho, derm, OB and FM, IM, Psych and can be helpful for networking with those programs. If you don’t get into UMMC or USA(not sure how you can claim in state status at both tbh..) I would consider WCUCOM. Hattiesburg clinic does a bunch of clinical research and that’s one of their major academic clinical sites.

Thanks for the suggestions. My gpa/mcat are 3.5/509, but I'm planning on retaking the mcat and have been averaging ~518 on recent FLs. My in-state MD programs are UMMC (Ole Miss) and South Alabama. I think I have a decent shot at MD, but would either of those MDs really be much better than a good DO school like the some of those you mentioned?

Just read up a bit on the schools you mentioned, and PCOM and KCU sound pretty great. It sounds like LECOM main campus has good results but mixed reviews.
If you are from Mississippi, there's an extremely high probability that you will get admitted to UMMC. Have you looked at the MSAR? Your MCAT score is above average for people from Mississippi who actually get admitted. See this:

Go to an USMD if you can. With the merger, if you truly love OMM then you can still do that residency.