good candidate for Ross medical?

Started by vraj
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vraj

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guyz,

I wanted to know if i am good candidate for Ross, I am applied in may 08 cycle.
Bachelor in Health Science-Cum laude
Dean's List (2 years).
MCAT: 19M
GPA : 3.6
Biochemistry research
Tutored cell biology and organic I and II courses.
Lots of Volunteering experience, shadowing and good LORs.
Assisted many undergraduate chemistry labs.
I know my mcat scores are very low, you think I have good chance for
ross medical.

Thanks for your time.
appreciated.
 
Im pretty sure that some people are going to say that you will need to retake your MCAT.
 
Yes,

definately need to retake the MCAT. What was your breakdown of 19M? I'd say at least 22MCAT to be pretty sure you have a good shot. Average of Ross is probably between 22-25MCAT so get in that range.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guyz,

I wanted to know if i am good candidate for Ross, I am applied in may 08 cycle.
Bachelor in Health Science-Cum laude
Dean's List (2 years).
MCAT: 19M
GPA : 3.6
Biochemistry research
Tutored cell biology and organic I and II courses.
Lots of Volunteering experience, shadowing and good LORs.
Assisted many undergraduate chemistry labs.
I know my mcat scores are very low, you think I have good chance for
ross medical.

Thanks for your time.
appreciated.
I don't know personally but I have a friend that got into Ross in 2005. Your numbers are comparable to his, a little higher on GPA. You should be fine. Give it a try.
 
Yeah, definitely retake the MCAT. What happened with that anyway? You had a pretty high GPA, and judging from the fact that you tutored cell biology and organic I and II, you obviously had the knowledge.
 
From the looks of things, you should be able to score admission to all of the Carib schools.

However, before trying for med school, ask yourself why you did so poorly on the MCAT (mainly because it only gets harder with the USMLE)
 
My grades weren't as good, but I got a 28 on the MCAT (IIRC... been a while).

Some students actually never took the MCAT and went to Ross (entering 2001). I'm not sure if that policy has changed.

Needless to say, apply and they'll tell you what your deficiencies are if you don't get accepted. What any school (or any residency program, for that matter) wants to see is that you will be able to pass the USLME and their respective written boards in training. Most of these are standardized, and some people are just not good at taking standardized tests. Nonetheless, this is the way it is. And, if you have proven that you cannot excel at these, then it has a prognostic factor for future testing. IOW, if you get into Ross, you do well, but you can't pass the USMLE, you've wasted your time and money as well as their's.

Recognize your deficiencies, work on them, and you can survive. Remember, the MCAT is just the first "test" in a long string of similar lifetime tests that you will be taking during your future career. If you have trouble with them, get some professional coaching and help. It will serve you well in your future.

-Skip
Ross, 2005 (w/honors)
Anesthesiology Resident