Good chance if I apply now or wait another year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimmingxxx657

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) Thanks for your help everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That looks pretty solid, I would apply if I had those stats. If you took time off you could boost your app, but if you're in a hurry to start med school, go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply now and MCAT pending, aim high.

Hi everyone! I'm posting now with a different, more focused question. I'm in a dilemma over whether I should wait another year or apply this cycle. I recently spoke to my school's pre-medical advisor and he said that my clinical experience is lacking. However, I personally feel the clinical experiences I have had involved lots of significant physician/patient interaction that made a meaningful impact on me. Below are my stats, info, and school list...please let me know if you think I have a good chance of getting into medical school if I applied this year. Ideally, I'd like to attend a California school (though I know they're very hard to get into), so one concern for me is not making the "cutoff" for UCs that pre-screen before sending out secondaries. What do you think are my chances? Would you recommend me waiting another year to get more clinical experience?

By the way, if I wait another year, my GPA might slide a little because I am taking quite a heavy course load. It won't be a huge dip, but I thought I should mention this because I heard some UCs value grades a lot.

Any help is much appreciated!

CA resident
Double major: Biochemistry and Math
cGPA: 3.98
sGPA: 4.00
MCAT Percentiles (took it only once, and took the new one):
Chem/Physics: 85-100
CARS: 85-100
Biological/Biochemical: 85-100
Psych/Socio: 85-100
Overall: 90-100

Clinical Activities
-1 year of clinical research in a major hospital (~120 hours), which involved lots of patient interaction and physician observation
-Summer shadowing at a private clinic (~20 hours)

Research Experience
-1 year of clinical research (~120 hours)
-1 year in lab (~100 hours)
-poster presentation at school wide research conference

Leadership Experience
-created and implemented two volunteering programs
-served on board of a community service club for one year (still hold position)

Community Service (non medical volunteering)
-1 year volunteering at elementary school
-6 months volunteering with low-income families

Additional Activities
-1 year of diving lessons :)

Awards
-dean's list, Phi Beta Kappa, school scholarship award

Tentative School List:

Loma Linda
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UC San Diego
UCSF
USC Keck
Stanford
Temple
Jefferson
Oregon
Baylor
Drexel
U of Chicago Pritzker
Northwestern
Rochester
Einstein
SUNY Stony Brook
NY Medical College
Emory
U of Pittsburgh
Dartmouth
Cornell
Tufts
BU

Members don't see this ad :)
Aim high my friend, aim high!

Thanks all. When you say aim high, what are schools that you would recommend me applying to?

There was an excel spreadsheet somewhere, where you could input your grades/MCAT/extracurriculars and kinda estimate what schools you should apply to. I can run some numbers for you.

According to the Excel spreadsheet, you should send 30% of your applications to really high-end schools (Harvard, Yale, JH, Stanford, etc.), 30% to high-end schools (UCLA, NYU, Mayo, etc.), 25% to mid-level schools (Dartmouth, Wake Forest, etc.) and the remainder to safety schools. You shouldn't really have to apply to any DO schools.