Good COMLEX score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some opinions here. For COMLEX scores and EM programs, what would be considered a "reasonably competitive" score and/or percentile? 70th % or above, 80th% etc? I know board scores are only one piece of the big pie, but I'm just curious.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no clue how to answer your question. Instead, I'll add one of my own (sorry).

COMLEX scores seem to always be reported in terms of percentiles. How do these scores correlate with the USMLE three digit ones?

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
GeneralVeers said:
What's a COMLEX? Is that some kind of foreign medical grad test?

Please tell me you're joking. COMLEX (Comprehensive Osteopathic Medicine Licensing EXamination) is the exam osteopathic medical students and physicians take for licensure. It is the equivalent of the USMLE for allopathic grads.

To the OP: every program and application is different. I've heard people say that so long as you pass (and preferably beat the mean) you have a chance to get in somewhere.

Later,

jd

Jeff698 said:
I have no clue how to answer your question. Instead, I'll add one of my own (sorry).

COMLEX scores seem to always be reported in terms of percentiles. How do these scores correlate with the USMLE three digit ones?

Take care,
Jeff

There is some fancy equation program directors can use to convert COMLEX 3 digit scores to USMLE 3 digit scores (although I've heard this equation underestimates the conversion). In general (from what I've seen and experienced personally) the scores correlate pretty well, percentile-wise (if you do an actual conversion). There are always exceptions to the rule, however.

best of luck,

jd

Funny thing is, the first year at my program, when I was an intern, my PD didn't know how to interpret the COMLEX. The programs get 3 numbers, raw score, some other weirdo number, then some standard deviation number, the programs DO NOT GET YOUR PERCENTILE SCORE. My PD kept saying "Yeah this person scored 80th percentile." Well, I looked hard at the information sheet, and 80 is the average "SD" score. So 81 would be slightly above mean, 79 slightly below. I told him that, and he turned red.

I think if you did poorly on the COMLEX, you will just have to work a bit harder in your rotations and get super strong LORs to make up for a perceived deficit.

Q

See, I'm not sure how I'd go about (not that I'm in the least bit interested in actually doing so) comparing COMLEX to the USMLE. I never got a percentile score for either parts of USMLE. The two number score we get is not a percentile.

After reading Quinn's post, maybe COMLEX doesn't report a percentile either?

Take care,
Jeff

Jeff698 said:
See, I'm not sure how I'd go about (not that I'm in the least bit interested in actually doing so) comparing COMLEX to the USMLE. I never got a percentile score for either parts of USMLE. The two number score we get is not a percentile.

Take care,
Jeff
indeed, it does not. However, PD's get far more USMLE scores than COMLEX, so they know that a 255 is good, and a 195 isn't. Much different than the COMLEX.

When I interviewed at Univ of MD, one of my interviewers said "You did really well on teh COMLEX, I had to call the NBOME to find out what %ile it was, but you did good." So, considering that most programs are pretty lazy and aren't going to call the NBOME, interpreting the COMLEX is hit or miss.

Q

Jeff698 said:

Take care,
Jeff

I know you dont want to know but.... having the average and the standard deviation you can figure out the % score. I think that can be done pretty easily but I have to confess that even though I learned this at some point I cant think of it off of the top of my head.

QuinnNSU said:
I think if you did poorly on the COMLEX, you will just have to work a bit harder in your rotations and get super strong LORs to make up for a perceived deficit.

Q
Does step 2 play any part in this equation?

EctopicFetus said:
I know you dont want to know but.... having the average and the standard deviation you can figure out the % score. I think that can be done pretty easily but I have to confess that even though I learned this at some point I cant think of it off of the top of my head.

Yes, you can - it's called the z-score. The equation is: X-m/sd

where X=your score, m=mean, sd=standard deviation.

This will give you the z-score. From there, you can look on a table of z-scores and determine your percentile. One such table can be found at http://www.medfriendly.com/standardscoretopercentileconversion.html

Granted, this table is used for converting IQ scores to percentile (which, if you know your IQ is kinda interesting), but the principle is the same. Take your z-score, find it in the first column and look across the row to the percentile column and voila: Your percentile.

best of luck, and by the way - the NBOME DOES report percentiles, just not to programs. The percentile is included on the individual student's score report.

jd

I would ask your dean if you really want a program to know your percentile to put that fact in the dean's letter. Our dean will do that if both agree that it would be benificial...ie if you really did well.

bla_3x said:
I would ask your dean if you really want a program to know your percentile to put that fact in the dean's letter. Our dean will do that if both agree that it would be benificial...ie if you really did well.
When I'm applying for an attending position in a few weeks I'll be sure to do that. :)

Q

QuinnNSU said:
When I'm applying for an attending position in a few weeks I'll be sure to do that. :)

Q

Ahh my bad...I thought you were advising about getting into residency...I really need to stop reading these things right before bed :oops:

Ohh hold on, Quinn, I see I quoted your post...sorry. Ment that to the OP. :oops: