Good Comm. and Univ. Affil. comm programs in PA and NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krdstargate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was informed because of my low step 1 score (198), step 2 score (233) and B's in my third year clerkships I should apply to the second tier schools and some comm. programs for IM. I attended a top school in the south, but didnt work as hard as I should have hence the poor grades. But I am expecting good rec. letters. I have research experience. And I am doing research this year before applying for residency for 2010. I want to apply to schools near philly since my family lives there. I am going to take a chance and apply to major univ in philly and nearby jersey but I was wondering what comm. programs were good. I hoping to do a nephrology fellowship in the future. Hence, the desire to go to a univ. school if possible.

I am planning on applying to Univ. prg.
PA
Thomas Jeff (probably will not get interview)
Drexel
Temple
Penn State( heard the pt pop. is not diverse, not sure how good IM training will be)
COmm.
Penn hospital (affiliated with UPENN-seemed good on paper)
Lehigh valley/penn state(also looked good)
Reading hospital
Lankenau hospital

NJ
RWJ-new brunswick (I am very interested in this program. although i dont know how competitive I will be.)
New jersey medical college
COmm
Newark Beth israel
St Barnabas
Jersey shore

VA
VCU (probably wont get an interview)
EVMS

Then I will probably also apply to UMASS and UCOnn, East Carolina. I plan on applying to at least 30 programs. But the ones in NJ and PA are the ones I hoping to get into.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're looking at the Philly area you should also look into Cooper Univ Hospital (RWJ-Camden)...good program with modern facilities and new Cooper Medical School just announced.