Good DO Schools/ Schools to Avoid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiedew

Reaction score
I know there aren't any rankings really for DO schools, but I am not familiar with their reputations and am struggling to put together a school list. I know that there are good and bad schools and would like advice on which ones have a good reputation and which ones have issues and should be avoided.

If there are schools to be avoided- why?

Members don't see this ad.

Any of the older schools or ones with direct hospital affiliations like:

NYITCOM
PCOM
ATSU
WVSOM
DMUCOM
MSUCOM
LECOM
VCOM
UNECOM

are usually good picks depending on what you want or where you live.

I see bad things about NOVA, TOURO, and LMU in SDN for various reasons.

I know there aren't any rankings really for DO schools, but I am not familiar with their reputations and am struggling to put together a school list. I know that there are good and bad schools and would like advice on which ones have a good reputation and which ones have issues and should be avoided.

If there are schools to be avoided- why?
In no order, I have a particularly high opinion of the following based upon well their grads seem to match, and on who they seem to have things together, or having met graduates of these programs:

AZCOM
CCOM
DMU
KCOM
KCU
LECOM
MUCOM
NYITCOM
PacNW
Touro-CA
TUCOM
UNECOM
VCOM
Western
Western-OR

I can't recommend these schools:
Nova: three of the four last years have declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. They're now at ~85% and on top of this, some 7% of their 2018 grads failed to match. This was the second worst match rate among all the COMs (only WCU did worse). These are things you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there.

Wm Carey: VERY high attrition rates and only a 92% placement rate for their Class of 2018. That means 8% of their grads are now unemployed, NOT doing residency. No SOAP, no scramble, no TRI. This is simply NOT acceptable. I expect they'll be put on probation very soon.

Touro-NY: Poor COMLEX II pass rates; unethical behavior in how they dealt with an overbooking issue three years ago.

LUCOM: I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology.

From the wise gyngyn: Liberty is poorly regarded due to the history of intolerance of their founding fathers. This school's reputation for intolerance puts its grads at a disadvantage at many reputable residency programs.

LMU: granted continuing Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. “Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring: This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.”

This is the only COM that has this level of accreditation status right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In no order, I have a particularly high opinion of the following based upon well their grads seem to match, and on who they seem to have things together, or having met graduates of these programs:

AZCOM
CCOM
DMU
KCOM
KCU
LECOM
MUCOM
NYITCOM
PacNW
Touro-CA
TUCOM
UNECOM
VCOM
Western
Western-OR

I can't recommend these schools:
Nova: three of the four last years have declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. They're now at ~85% and on top of this, some 7% of their 2018 grads failed to match. This was the second worst match rate among all the COMs (only WCU did worse). These are things you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there.

Wm Carey: VERY high attrition rates and only a 92% placement rate for their Class of 2018. That means 8% of their grads are now unemployed, NOT doing residency. No SOAP, no scramble, no TRI. This is simply NOT acceptable. I expect they'll be put on probation very soon.

Touro-NY: Poor COMLEX II pass rates; unethical behavior in how they dealt with an overbooking issue three years ago.

LUCOM: I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; their Faculty make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology.

From the wise gyngyn: Liberty is poorly regarded due to the history of intolerance of their founding fathers. This school's reputation for intolerance puts its grads at a disadvantage at many reputable residency programs.

LMU: granted continuing Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. “Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring: This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.”

This is the only COM that has this level of accreditation status right now.

Goro can you substantiate your comment about LUCOM’s faculty please.

Goro can you substantiate your comment about LUCOM’s faculty please.
I'm not going to dig it up because this is an internet forum, not a submission to Lancet.

But somewhere in one of the threads on LUCOM was an abstract from a poster done by LUCOM faculty than grossly twisted scientific reality about something like seminal emissions to match their abstinence theology. Something like that.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not going to dig it up because this is an internet forum, not a submission to Lancet.

But somewhere in one of the threads on LUCOM was an abstract from a poster done by LUCOM faculty than grossly twisted scientific reality about something like seminal emissions to match their abstinence theology. Something like that.
Thank you, I will look up that poster. If it is wrong I’ll agree. This is one reference though, you post used faculty in the plural as well as “attempts.” What else are you referring to?

Thank you, I will look up that poster. If it is wrong I’ll agree. This is one reference though, you post used faculty in the plural as well as “attempts.” What else are you referring to?

A college friend interviewed at LUCOM and had the head of admissions talk about how everyone having a gun makes the world safer which is why they welcome concealed carry. In an ideal world everyone would carry he said. Also he discussed at length about how religious people on average are going to be more moral because of their religious foundation as if nonreligious people couldn't have morals ...

A college friend interviewed at LUCOM and had the head of admissions talk about how everyone having a gun makes the world safer which is why they welcome concealed carry. In an ideal world everyone would carry he said. Also he discussed at length about how religious people on average are going to be more moral because of their religious foundation as if nonreligious people couldn't have morals ...
I've heard this and similar. The politics of the parent body alone makes me advise people to stay away from this school. The rest of the eye-opening behavior they engage in makes me rest my case.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard this and similar. The politics of the parent body alone makes me advise people to stay away from this school. The rest of the eye-opening behavior they engage in makes me rest my case.

The Caribbean almost sounds better than LUCOM.

Reactions: 1 users
Your correct, conceal carry is allowed. Students and faculty both carry. I interviewed there and they do mention a few moral things in the interview. Your friend may have interpreted what they said incorrectly. The faculty and staff do not think they are morally superior nor do they think non religious people have no morals.

Your correct, conceal carry is allowed. Students and faculty both carry. I interviewed there and they do mention a few moral things in the interview. Your friend may have interpreted what they said incorrectly. The faculty and staff do not think they are morally superior nor do they think non religious people have no morals.
Does the irony of the bolded statement have any impact given the ideals of the overall belief system they profess to adhere to?

My worst advising nightmare is having to counsel someone who has accepts to only LUCOM and CNU.

Reactions: 3 users
Does the irony of the bolded statement have any impact given the ideals of the overall belief system they profess to adhere to?

My worst advising nightmare is having to counsel someone who has accepts to only LUCOM and CNU.

"Well, Timmy...How do you feel about podiatry?"

Reactions: 2 users