good elective rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrsesame

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anybody know of good elective rotations for prelim medicine year? i'm going to try to request a couple easy ones to break up the difficult year.

Members don't see this ad.

does anybody know of good elective rotations for prelim medicine year? i'm going to try to request a couple easy ones to break up the difficult year.

rheum: can have a pretty busy clinic, but usually the consults in the hospital are usually pretty light

immuno/allergy (if they have it): same as above

Also..

Derm count as an elective? - very important, esp. if doing outpt IM.

How about radiology? - super important.

EM? - allows you to further your diagnostic skills

Anesthesia? - good if you're going into pulm/crit care

Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate the feedback -
what do you guys think are the best/worst electives out of the following:
cards, pulm, GI, neurology, heme-onc, ID, renal

Best/Worst with regards to what? Workload? Learning?

And what will you be doing after your prelim year? Because that will make a difference in what people would suggest you do.

And what will you be doing after your prelim year? Because that will make a difference in what people would suggest you do.

a combination of both - for example even though ICU is tough, I actually really liked it bc i learned a lot. in general was wondering what medicine rotations people enjoyed/disliked

going into rads

So you're looking to lighten up your year, maybe pick up some useful pearls for life after prelim medicine? Neurology will probably have a heavy rads emphasis and is likely a relatively light workload, so I'd put that first in your case. After that I'd go ID>GI>renal>pulm>cards (super learning experience but the workload will be crushing). Heme-onc I put last because, not only will it likely be quite long hours, but it's also emotionally taxing and you won't learn much that will transfer to radiology in any meaningful way.

Also, these rotations are structured differently everywhere. Some places something like pulm might be hell and others it might be the easiest consult month. Some of this is also fellow dependent. Really gaming the system is finding out who the cool fellows are and trying to arrange a month when they are on service.

a combination of both - for example even though ICU is tough, I actually really liked it bc i learned a lot. in general was wondering what medicine rotations people enjoyed/disliked

going into rads

In that case (and taking into account what jdh71 said that your "Pulm consult" month may actually wind up being a balls to the wall ICU month) I'd say Pulm and Cards are probably the highest yield. At least then, when you put "clinical correlation suggested" in your read of a film you'll have some vague idea of that that would be.

Why request all easy months? Try to get ones that'll help you the most when you get into whatever it is you want to get into.