Good "FLAG" antibody

Started by mark-ER
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mark-ER

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was hoping one of your labs does a fair deal of immunocytochemistry and you know of a good antibody that would give a clean and strong Immunocytochemistry signal for "FLAG" (the common epitope tag). If it works well with westerns that would be a nice bonus too. Just a catolog # and company works; I plan to order it today or tomorrow. Thanks!!!
 
I was hoping one of your labs does a fair deal of immunocytochemistry and you know of a good antibody that would give a clean and strong Immunocytochemistry signal for "FLAG" (the common epitope tag). If it works well with westerns that would be a nice bonus too. Just a catolog # and company works; I plan to order it today or tomorrow. Thanks!!!

We use Anti-FLAG rabbit from Sigma for the purposes of immunofluorescence with reasonably good affinity and background.
 
If I recall correctly, the FLAG epitope is patented by Sigma. So, I agree with D&G, use an anti-FLAG (not the band) antibody from Sigma. I like using a biotinylated antibody so that I don't have to use a secondary antibody...just a labelled (strep)avidin for labelling.

F9291 Monoclonal ANTI-FLAG® BioM2 from mouse

Oh yeah, make sure you have the right antibody for the right FLAG tag. Each antibody Sigma offers differing specificities; these specificities are varied positionally i.e. N-terminal, C-terminal, Met-amino-terminal, and internal. The M2 variant does not care about the tags position.
 
I wound up getting the M2 Flag antibody from Cell Signaling (they say it's against the same epitope as the one from sigma). Yeah, it's not C- or N- terminal specific and it's cheaper than the sigma (though there's a bit less of it).

I'll re-post about how it works when I run it through>