Good Flight Surgeon stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AF M4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been spending the last couple of weeks or so since the IFB board results came out adjusting my mindset to a positive outlook on being a flight surgeon for a few years (I'd really rather not be pissed/depressed/drunk for most of my mid-to-late-twenties) and I'm coming around to the idea that I'll get to do some really neat things that I wouldn't have a chance to do in the civilian world. I figure I'll be an attending at 40 just like the rest of my classmates, but I'll have much better stories to tell impressionable young medical students. :)

I'd really appreciate hearing any positive stories, experiences, or whatever you liked about being a flight surgeon from all of you great former and current military doctors out there. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did 3 years as a USAF FS F-15C in Alaska in the late 90s. Had a blast, went all over Asia. Went to Saudi once. Flew in F-15, F-16, AWACS, Tankers, Cargo, Helos.

Best patients I ever had. Pilots took great care of me. Drank alot of beer and ate alot of great food overseas. Being in fighters is like being in a Frat.

I wasn't very excited at first but it turned out to be the best 3 years I have spent in the USAF.

Do it, have fun, try to get fighters and overseas. Be cool to the Pilots and remember your a Doc not a pilot and you will have a great time.

Milrad said:
I did 3 years as a USAF FS F-15C in Alaska in the late 90s. Had a blast, went all over Asia. Went to Saudi once. Flew in F-15, F-16, AWACS, Tankers, Cargo, Helos.

Best patients I ever had. Pilots took great care of me. Drank alot of beer and ate alot of great food overseas. Being in fighters is like being in a Frat.

I wasn't very excited at first but it turned out to be the best 3 years I have spent in the USAF.

Do it, have fun, try to get fighters and overseas. Be cool to the Pilots and remember your a Doc not a pilot and you will have a great time.

how many hours/month did you get in F-15, vs F-16, vs cargo? did you ever get to hold the stick in F-15, if so how much?

Members don't see this ad :)
mumiitroll said:
how many hours/month did you get in F-15, vs F-16, vs cargo? did you ever get to hold the stick in F-15, if so how much?
One flight surgeon I met in the air force said that he was able to do entire sorties except for take off and landing.

Mirror Form said:
One flight surgeon I met in the air force said that he was able to do entire sorties except for take off and landing.
i heard on navy aviation forum that air force pilots are told "what you can do", whereas navy is "what you can't do", implying that navy was more friendly to letting you fly.. also navy at least introduces you to flight training(6months), whereas in air force you don't learn to fly at all.

mumiitroll said:

One day a week usually in your primary aircraft (F-15)

I flew other aircraft for hours and fun. You will spend all day "flying" but the mission (time in the air) usually is one hour for fighters.

Most pilots let you fly to and from the training site. No takeoff or landing. Also no dog fighting...that was their job.

GO TO AN OPERATIONAL BASE WHERE THERE ARE REAL AIRCRAFT !!!!! AVOID SPACE COMMAND (your not a real flight surgeon and they are not pilots). Trust me you will be very unhappy unless you like being a desk jockey.

Thank you! Do airforce or navy fs get more stick time in operational air squadrons? Navy fs do 6months of training, but they obviously dont learn to fly fighter jets in that training, so how much stick time you get, whether in navy or airforce, is pretty much dependent on your pilot?