Oct 18, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
I retook my DAT and didn't see any improvement in my PAT score from the first time. I got 14PAT/17QR/22RC/17Bio/18GC/20OC/18TS/19AA this time.

I'm crushed because I thought I prepared harder this time around. I've already applied to 10 schools and received one denial. They said I should retake the DAT and try to get a 20+ in each section, but that I had a good GPA (>3.6) and good LoRs. My application recently got completed so haven't heard back from other schools yet. My shadowing/community service are average, about 100/150 respectively. I also did research, graduated with honors, part of my school's honors program and had leadership positions. Would that still land me some interviews/acceptances?

If not, what should my next steps be? Am I pretty much screwed for this cycle if I don't retake? The earliest I can retake is January-Feb, which is pretty late and I'm scared of no improvement/doing worse and wasting money again.

Last edited:

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
  1. Non-Student
I retook my DAT and didn't see any improvement in my PAT score from the first time. I got 14PAT/17QR/22RC/17Bio/18GC/20OC/18TS/19AA this time.

I'm crushed because I thought I prepared harder this time around. I've already applied to 10 schools and received one denial. They said I should retake the DAT and try to get a 20+ in each section, but that I had a good GPA (>3.6) and good LoRs. My application recently got completed so haven't heard back from other schools yet. My shadowing/community service are average, about 100/150 respectively. I also did research, graduated with honors, part of my school's honors program and had leadership positions. Would that still land me some interviews/acceptances?

If not, what should my next steps be? Am I pretty much screwed for this cycle if I don't retake? The earliest I can retake is January-Feb, which is pretty late and I'm scared of no improvement/doing worse and wasting money again.

Don't be discouraged, You are not alone, this situation is not uncommon. My first step would to be contact the schools you applied to find out if the 14 in PAT is below a cutoff. You other scores are average, with a great RC score and Orgo.

What did you get the first time you took the DAT, did you go up on the 2nd attempt. You have a very nice GPA that is worth noting. Why do you think you are struggling on the DAT, especially in the PAT and if you have to retake the DAT what would you do differently? Are you a traditional student?

Please don't be hard on yourself, I have seen students get interviews with these scores, a lot depends on where you applied.

If I can be of more help you can message here or pm.

Nancy, co/owner, Orgoman, DAT Destroyer

Carmencitas

2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Dental

Well if you just recently applied it’s not that surprising you haven’t heard back yet. Schools have been receiving applications since June. I agree with above that you should reach out to schools about their cut offs. In the mean time, in case you retake, what tool did you use for the PAT section & how often?

I personally used PatBooster & would highly recommend it! I made sure to spend at the very least 1 hour everyday practicing all the sections. I would also spend more time on my struggle topics (TFE & Keyhole) than others.

Reactions: 1 users
Dec 18, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Dental

You still have time, if you haven't heard back from anyone you might want to improve your DAT a bit. I believe that most schools this cycle will be reviewing applications up until March because of COVID, so in my opinion, your best chance at getting an interview would be to improve your scores. Your RC and OC scores are pretty good all you have to do is improve the rest, especially PAT, but because you still have time I believe that you should be able to achieve a really good score in this amount of time. I personally used PAT/DATBooster like the post above me did and I believe that it helped me a lot in doing well on the DAT so give that a shot if you haven't already. But as long as you have a good personal statement I believe that you have a shot this cycle. If you don't get in this cycle don't fret, work on your application by getting a masters or doing some dental assisting and I believe that you will be golden for the next cycle. Good luck!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads