Good GPR/AEGD in CA and Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dunnoany

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am applying for residency, thinking of GPR / AEGD, I am considering programs in California or Chicago area. I have spent alot of time trying to find out more about each program, because almost everybody I talked to have made the comments that choosing a good program is very important, maybe is the most important thing

So I am looking for any feedbacks any of you might be able to contribute. Past residents, current residents, friends that've been through it or still in it, something you've heard...etc etc. I am sure most of them are good comments, but I guess more importantly if you have BAD experiences I'd really like to hear them too ;)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard alot of good things about the Jesse Brown VA GPR in Chicago. This GPR gives residents extensive experience in Oral Surgery, Prosth (especially complicated implant restorations), Restorative and Endo.

The residency also teaches residents how to manage medically compromised patients, which really isn't taught in dental schools.

I actually looked at a lot of the GPRs in southern California and Chicago and ended up at Jesse Brown. They pick 2 residents a year and generally 1 resident is in the general clinic at a time while the other is on rotations in the hospital or on oral surgery. This ensures a lot of attention from the attendings, many of whom are prosthodontists. As with any VA, the patient's eligibility determines what is covered but on many of the patients you are assigned you will get to do ideal treatment. You'll get a lot of fixed and implant experience here.