Good grades in hard classes, bad grades in "easy" classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hall22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My best friend that is a double major in Chemistry and Mathematics, but is pre-med (sometimes says pre-MD/PhD), so he takes some biology classes. He's pretty sharp, and is the epitome of your typical genius bum. Long hair, beard, glasses, quiet demeanor.

Him and I talk, and his problem is that he gets high grades in what are traditionally "hard" classes, but makes bad grades in "easy" classes.

For example, he's made A's in Differential Equations, Thermodynamics, Physical Chemistry, C++ Programming, Solid State Physics, Genetics, Genomics, Immunology etc.

But he made B's in Bio I and II (taken at a community college over the summer his freshman year), and a B in Psychology.

How do great minds make higher marks in classes that are clearly not for the typical layman, but lower marks in classes that are full of annoying freshman who memorize all day and make A's?

Would this hurt my friend's chances at MD/PhD, assuming his GPA is >3.8, and has a MCAT >35?

Members don't see this ad.

Ignore the troll

Reactions: 1 user