good idea to minor in econ to improve GPA?

Started by turkwise
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

turkwise

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have 2 more quarters to finish up my bio degree and then I will apply for a post bacc program to boost up my gpa for dental school. My current GPA is 2.93. I was wondering if doing a minor in econ to raise my GPA is a good idea? I'm thinking about doing this because I want to increase my chances of getting into the SFSU post bacc. If I do the minor, I can finish it by spring quarter. Or should I just take more upper division science courses? and then apply for a post bacc program
 
Are you thinking econ because you got some A's in lower div econ classes? Be careful assuming that the rest of an econ minor will be any easier than upper div science - you'll have to take upper-div econ. Also be careful in assuming that you can get an econ minor completed in 2 more quarters - are you sure the classes are offered when you need them to be? Regardless, getting A's from now on is a lot more important than adding & finishing a minor.

Assuming you're taking more undergrad upper div science in your postbac, and assuming you have a stellar GPA for your last year in undergrad, it doesn't matter which way you go. If you're interested in econ, and my concerns above aren't real problems, then by all means pursue econ.

Best of luck to you.